15) House Cup

I gather with the rest of the students for the final feast of the year. I'd passed my exams, which was honestly a surprise considering how tired I was while taking them, and am now looking forward to break. Cho and Eth sit on either side of me, chatting over me about how frustrated they are that the Slytherins will win the house cup.

Suddenly Professor McGonagall clinks her glass. The room slowly quiets down and our attention is diverted to the professor's table. Dumbledore steps up to the podium.

"Another year gone. And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding. And the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor with 312 points. Third place, Hufflepuff with 352 points.  In second place, Ravenclaw with 426 points." There had been a scatter applause for the first two houses, but when Ravenclaw's place is stated, the table erupts. Cho's yelling nearly deafens me. After we quiet down, Dumbledore continues. "And in first place, with 472 points, Slytherin house." This time Slytherin's table goes nuts. Some people stand on their chairs. My eyes unwillingly scan for Draco and I notice a smug look on his face. I turn away quickly before he can catch me looking.

Dumbledore once more continues. "Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin. Well done, Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account. And I have a few last-minute points to award. To Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect while others were in grave peril, 50 points." I notice exchanges and cheers from the Gryffindor table. "Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years, 50 points." Gryffindor's cheers get louder. 

I sigh, annoyed that this is happening. Their nosiness and trouble making not only gives them kudos among the professors and students, but also gains them last minute points towards the house cup? It doesn't seem fair to me. I'd rather Slytherin not win as much as the next guy, but this seems overkill.

"And third, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house 60 points." At this, not only does Gryffindor explode, again, but Cho nearly screams as she cheers for Harry. I groan and run a hand through my hair. Her fascination with Harry is getting annoying.

"They're tied with Slytherin." Eth murmurs. I glance at him.

"What happens when houses tie?" He shrugs, his gaze slightly weary. I meet his eyes, wondering if he's thinking along the same lines as me. But before I can ask, Dumbledore speaks again. I turn back to look at him.

"And finally, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award 10 points to Neville Longbottom."

"Are you serious?" I mumble, surprised.

"Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order." Dumbledore claps and the decorations all change from Slytherin to Gryffindor. "Gryffindor wins the House Cup." The entire Great Hall erupts. Every house but the Slytherins cheer, hats flying into the air.

I stay seated, my hat remaining on my head. I'm one of the only ones from the other houses not cheering. My eyes instinctively look to Draco and I find a frustrated look on his face. I glance away again and look at the other houses. It's not that I'm upset Slytherin didn't win. I'm upset at how Slytherin didn't win. No one else seems to appear to even consider the lack of logic in all those points added last minute. Even Eth cheers. I shake my head. I might just be the only smart Ravenclaw at this table.

What I don't see is Draco's eyes find me and a small smile appear on his face at the fact that I'm not cheering.

*

As the train pulls up, I climb on and find an empty compartment. Cho and Eth join me, still chatting about the Gryffindors winning the house cup. I groan to myself, place Shift on my lap, and lean against the window. Hopefully I'll fall asleep and be back home before they drive me insane.

A/N: So I know these last two episodes are super short, but I needed to finish off the year so I could start on the next one. And there isn't too many exciting things happening outside of the golden trio's activities, so this is the best I could come up with.