Chapter Two: Part One

Gradually, as the weeks elapsed, by late September, the summer breeze yielded to a biting cold, and snow descended from the mountain peaks above. Vendors set up shop in the village square, where fires blazed in various spots, and the inhabitants, swathed in pelts and thicker attire, braced against the untimely chill. Apprehension permeated as farmers plowed wheat fields too young for harvest, the premature cold freezing the ground and damaging vegetables meant to endure the impending winter. In response, the villagers turned to their king for guidance. To assuage their concerns, he announced plans to initiate winter hunts for boar and bears earlier than usual.

While this news brought momentary relief, as with every winter, a new threat emerged. Sickness proliferated through the village, targeting the vulnerable and elderly. Within the first two weeks of October, five villagers succumbed to the illness, leaving a bitter taste among the survivors. Aurora, foreseeing a challenging winter, observed less fortunate villagers seeking refuge in the tavern and adjacent stables. Franklin left his doors open to anyone who needed but in doing so, to Aurora's horror unwittingly exposed himself to the spreading sickness.

"Father, come inside. The hay can wait until morning," Aurora pleaded, wrapped in a fox fur pelt, wading through ankle-deep snow to join him. "You've moved the water barrels and chopped enough wood to last us the season. Please–" Her plea was interrupted by a wet cough from Franklin, who paused in his shoveling. Glancing at his worried daughter, Franklin sighed, his lungs crackling. Despite feeling unwell, he recognized the necessity of tasks to safeguard the tavern and its occupants, even if it meant risking his health. "Fine," Franklin reluctantly agreed, leaning on his pitchfork as Aurora guided him inside.

The tavern buzzed with chatter and a crackling fire, drowned out by requests for ale and entertainment upon Aurora and Franklin's entrance. Annoyed, Aurora glared at the patrons. "You should be ashamed! Look at him! Couldn't any of you have helped?" Her scolding was met with drunken bewilderment and guilty looks. "Enough, Aurora," warned Franklin, leaning against the bar. Displeased with his disagreement, Aurora addressed her father once more. "Fine," she conceded, just as he did a few moments before outside. She returned to the back where she had been making a massive batch of stew that was to be frozen and ate for the following weeks. Gripping the table, she took deep breaths, closing her eyes, longing for the presence of the one person she wished were there with her.

Up in the castle, turmoil wasn't exclusive to Aurora

Up in the castle, turmoil wasn't exclusive to Aurora. "It is important to remain calm." King Jorah told his son, Seated on a leather chair behind a desk, while Emeric paced back and forth around his study. Emeric's hands where tight on his waist, a frazzled look in his eyes. "How does one maintain composure when everyone nearby is teetering on the edge of panic?" Emeric inquired genuinely of his father. Even with the power of a dozen dragons combined with their elemental abilities, it was not enough to dispel the winter's grip. They couldn't make the crops grow faster nor could they stop the ground from freezing.

"What benefit is there in panicking?" Jorah queried, tilting his head slightly after signing the decree to initiate the early winter hunt. Emeric ran his hands through his hair and sighed, acknowledging the validity of his father's words. "When people are anxious, they turn to their leaders. If leaders lack confidence, panic ensues, and chaos follows. Panic and chaos are the last things we desire, son," Jorah advised. Emeric licked his lips and nodded in agreement. "We can't just sit here and do nothing..." Emeric sighed, at last settling into a seat opposite his father. "We aren't doing nothing." his father reassured, passing the decree to his notary.

"What if we're not doing enough father? There have already been deaths, disease is plaguing the villagers and we may not have enough resources to last the winter." Emeric voiced his concerns, a worried expression etched on his face. He was well aware that Aurora and Franklin had been making sacrifices to assist the community.

The King responded with a gentle smile, prompting Emeric to raise an eyebrow, as it was an unlikely moment for such a reaction. "What is it?" Emeric inquired, intrigued. Jorah gently shook his head, reclining in his seat. "It's just nice to see the fervorin your eyes...it's...kingly." Jorah remarked with the pride of a father. Emeric scoffed and shook his head. "Of all the moments to compliment me, Father..."

"No no it's wonderful, it's important for a king to care about his people in this way. That's why I encouraged you to explore the villages, engaging in whatever noble pursuits you could find," Jorah explained. "So that, one day, when all of this becomes yours, it will be under the rule of a compassionate king," he added, raising his hands and surveying the surroundings. "And hopefully, a queen as well," Jorah remarked with a subtle smirk. Emeric caught the hint, looking away shyly with a small smile at the mere thought of Aurora, as he often did.

"There's that smile. That's a good sign." Jorah teased. Emeric turned to face his father. "You ask about her now when the winter threatens us?" Emeric questioned. "I simply want to know more about the girl that has my son smiling when the winter threatens us." Jorah responded. "So, who is she?" Emeric, typically a courageous man, suddenly grew bashful when the topic arose. Romance was a seldom-discussed subject, even though his father was aware it had been unfolding for quite some time.

Due to Emeric keeping his royal status a secret, they had never crossed paths. "Her name is Aurora, the daughter of the tavern owner," Emeric disclosed, his eyes drifting into the mental image of her. "But she's not just an ordinary human; she–"

"Possesses abilities," Jorah completed the sentence for him. "How did you know that?" Emeric inquired. "Have I mentioned that before?"

"I know my people Emeric, even if I don't have the time to wander around." Jorah informed him ominously. However, there was an additional element in Jorah's gaze, a sense of knowing. It puzzled Emeric and piqued his curiosity, but he chose to remain silent. "So, you're aware of her," Emeric said, a hint of nervousness in his voice. He licked his lips before continuing slowly, "I am fully committed to making her my Queen, and I am confident she will excel in that role, Father," Emeric declared.

Jorah gazed at him with another gentle smile and a look of anticipation in his eyes, a subtle excitement evident. "The love in your eyes is unmistakable, son... It's as clear as day, shining like the brightest star even in the darkest night," Jorah observed. Emeric managed a gentle smile amid everything. "Marry that girl, son. Regardless of the challenges, she will become the greatest asset to our kingdom," Emeric's brows lifted slightly in response to his father's generous words, and the prince's lips even parted in surprise. He hadn't expected such encouragement from his parents, especially given that he was marrying a commoner. Yet, Aurora wasn't exactly common with her extraordinary powers, and to Emeric, she was unique—his one and only.

**YESS MARRRRY THAT GIRL EMERIC!!! lol love that for him. Vote/comment/follow**