Chapter 7 - Night Terrors

"The sudden smell of burning flesh. Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck." - Billie Holiday's 'Strange Crop'

Today, Alice came again, strange since she and Janet usually swapped between one another. She played games, at least when it would have been her days. Her attempts were alright, though staying on the topic was a challenge. Right now, she's trying to teach me item-word association. While not very interesting, it is practical if I can quickly identify items and learn what is similar to our reality and what is native to this new one.

Working through the cards was easy enough; I rolled my eyes - seems Janet had left her with big shoes to fill. Alice gulps as she sees how bored I look, her hands fidgeting with the cards. She knows I'm onto her; I've been asking probing questions, and it hasn't been good. My first was of where Janet was; she said, "She's with your mother, young Lady." I nodded and let her continue the day without asking anything more. My second question the second day Alice took Janet's place, asking her where Mother was, "She's out, uh, yeah... She's out." I cringed while she tried to cover where Mother had gone, and we played a simple card game similar to Old Maid. I will add she is terrible at Old Maid (called Vieux garçon, which is a little strange if my assumption was correct) and can't keep a straight face to save her life.

To make a deviation, I assumed that we spoke English exclusively; maybe we have a combined language that mixes French and some Germanic influences with English. It may explain the weirdly divergent architecture, like the long house-inspired hallways with carved images mixed with a cathedral evoking murals along the roof. It might not seem like much, but seeing massive wood walls carved with crude images and runes with a mural on the roof that is so realistic it may be mistaken for the real night sky is strange.

Returning to the matter, I'm considering how to word my question on what Mother is doing 'out' as she said. Alice is confident enough to deny anything, though her ability to lie is laughable. Maybe I will ask her directly? No, she'll be suspicious; keep pushing subtly to not spook her. I worry about Mother's absence - no attempts on my life have happened recently, but with the god's introduction, I doubt it will last. Historical assassinations generally have the bigger fish out on the field and the children an easy target.

Paranoid as I may be, I lay trust in Alice and, more importantly, Mother's decision to leave me in her care. Not as if I could do otherwise, but it's better not to think of such events. If I died at her hand, it's not a matter I can have much say in.

---

"Ugh, the Young Lady is so persistent. I don't understand how she figured out Janet wasn't around; her little eyes looked sad when I told her she wasn't coming to teach her. I mean, how they shimmered; she must have been tearing up! I felt so bad."

I lay my head down in my lap, the other Maid working with the laundry chuckling at my troubles.

"Well, Alice, ya really can't blame 'er. She's a smart cookie, ain't she? Think she won't notice her teach on leave?"

I roll my eyes, her words accurate though distressing. If the Madam is going to be out for longer, if news from the other regions is correct, I don't know how I'll keep her from worrying. Damn you, Janet! Why'd you have to teach her so much - now I have to deal with our little Lady.

I hear a chuckle from my companion, "She botherin' ya that much?" I throw a small rag at her in response and say, "How dare you speak to your superior so casually?" in a mockery of a stern instructor. She rolls her eyes again and returns to her duties, which is my cue to do the same.

I get up, dust off my apron, and leave shouting, "I will see to it that if you don't get those clothes done, you get night watch." To my childish glee, I hear her pick up the pace. While I don't plan to do that, she doesn't need to know.