chapter 013.

thirteen. so i can breath you in.

"I can't believe I prefer you being around Brahms than those two freaks." Tom speaks angrily, his grip on the steering wheel strong and unnerving. Lyra thinks back to Brahms with a small smile.

"Stu seems like a sweetheart but Billy gives me bad feelings every-time he looks at me." Lyra admits, she knows it won't help with his protective urges. And truthfully she doesn't want him to kill Billy, that's awfully extreme, she just wants to acknowledge the discomfort he brings.

"That's the dark eyed bastard, right?" Lyra nods and Tom parks up, running a hand across his face irritatedly. He thinks about the two in his class, how they always work together, they never stop talking. They're simply annoying.

"He won't do anything." Lyra attempts to make him feel better, laying. shane over his that rests on the break. He sighs and turns to her.

"If he does, he's dead." It's threatening in tone but Lyra knows it's a promise. A shiver descends her spine, he's be doing it to protect her but she can't help but be unnerved by his willingness to kill.

Although she'd kill for him too, at least she thinks she would. It takes a lot of mental strength to be able to take a persons life, and Lyra wasn't sure she quite had that.

"I'm gonna get the groceries. You wanted to go to the Library, right?" Lyra nods, appreciating the change in conversation. Brahms had told her he could read, while he couldn't speak all that well, he loved to read. And so she was going to surprise him with new books, assuming he'd read all he had many times over.

"I'll be done in twenty minutes tops." Tom tells her, handing her the keys as she'll most likely return sooner and the two part ways.

The streets are filled with clusters of people, some students, some older, but they all have one thing in common, they aren't walking alone. Besides a blonde girl entering the library.

Lyra enters after the girl and looks around quickly, spotting her in the fiction section. That's where she wanted to go. Lyra's fingers brush over the books's spines as she reads them and she notices the girl occasionally glance her way.

"Excuse me, miss. your hair is gorgeous." Lyra turns when a small voice comes from the blonde girl and she flashes a wide smile.

"Yours is too, it's so silky." Lyra returns the compliment and the girl's eyes drift from fearful to pleased. Even through all the rejections, the humiliation and the bullying the blonde girl faces, all she wants is a friend.

"Thank you, my names Carrie White. You wouldn't happen to go to the college up the hill, would you?" Carrie asks, almost fearfully.

"I'm Lyra Mitchell and yes," Carrie's expression falls, "But i started about a week ago, moved here from Pennsylvania." Carrie breaths a small sigh of relief. If she's new then perhaps she hasn't seen or heard of the humiliation she goes through daily.

"That's so cool, any reason for moving?" Lyra hums as she thinks about the question. My mum shot my boyfriend because he's murdered half the towns population? No that didn't seem right.

"My boyfriend and I wanted a fresh start." Lyra settles for and Carrie grins, excited to hear more about this girls life.

"You have a boyfriend? What's he like? Is he kind, caring? Chivalrous? Protective?" She lists off characteristics of her dream man and Lyra chuckles at her excitement.

"Yeah, pretty heavy on the protective, but he's loving, handsome, he's just perfect." Lyra tells her and Carrie almost jumps with joy at her words. Lyra pulls a book from the shelf, about vampires, but thankfully not twilight. She'll let Brahms test it before she finds what type of fiction he prefers.