Chaper one

Willow

Jackie and I are stranded at the airport as we wait for our new family to pick us up. It has been a crazy few weeks but I'm grateful I still have Jackie with me even though we haven't been the best of friends lately. Jackie and I have the same mom, she first had me with my dad and a year later she had Jackie. My dad and mom weren't the best couple. My dad was always kind of mean and when my mom found out she was pregnant with me she tried to get away from him to keep me safe. She found Jackie's dad and he was okay with her already being pregnant and promised to raise me as his own. However the second my biological father, John, heard I was born he filled her for custody. Since then I had to go to his house three days a week. He is a business man and isn't scared to use his money for what he wants. He shows it around to people. He uses me to show around as well and I always hated it. He always expects me to be the best in everything that I do. School, ballet, playing the violin and ice skating. I always had to watch my food intake and he would get really mad if I didn't. I never really told anyone about it because I didn't want to worry anyone. But my dad started to scare me a few years back when he hit me for the first time. It never turned into worse but he would sometimes just accidentally lash out at me when I wasn't good enough, I get it. My mom and her husband were always nice to me, though her husband, Jackie's father, never really saw me as his own and always treated me differently from Jackie. But it was fine. At the end all of these high expectations of me because Jackie wants to be better as well. And ever since then she always tried to be better than me. At first it was friendly competition but she got carried away. It was fine though, her and Lucy were popular at school and no one ever really looked at me twice. But I liked it that way, I hate to be the center of attention. So I'm okay with her being like that but I do hope she will act like she used to again sometime soon, because I miss her as my sister. Jackie has been through a lot though, her parents and sister died about two weeks ago. And ofcourse she was my mom as well and my family, but for some reason no one really understands why I am sad about this happening. My dad wanted to get full custody of me but for some reason we both have to go to this new family. And old friend from my mom agreed to take us in. I am actually kind of excited about it, being away from my dad. But I will miss ballet and ice skating.

I am wearing light gray yoga pants with a simple pomegranate red top. I tried to dress down a bit not knowing where we would be going, but Jackie had other plans. She is all dressed up and calling with our uncle Richard. He cares for us both but I know he prefers her, everyone does. Right when I was about to say hi to him this beautiful lady walked up to us. She has red hair that shines in the crappy airport light and she looks so kind. ''Jackie and Willow.'' she says as she walks up to us. She looks at us for a second, almost looking like she might cry so I quickly smile at her. She gives Jackie a hug first. ''I'm so glad that you're here.'' She says to her as they pull away. Then she turns to me and engulfs me in a tight hug. ''Hi Katherine.'' I say, smiling into the hug. ''I'm so happy to see you sweetie.'' She tells me with a smile. We met once a very long time ago. She was almost forced by my mom and dad to come to a ballet show I was in. We only talk briefly but it seems like she remembers me. I look behind her and see George standing there. He looks just like I remember and I smile at him. ''Hi George.'' He looks surprised. ''I can't believe you remember me Willow.'' He laughs and I go up to give him a quick hug, I immediately feel safe and cared for. As we pull away Jackie says hello to him as well and turns to me. ''Youv'e already met them?'' She aks me, to the others sh might look curious but I can hear that she sees this as a challenge to be better than me again. ''Yes we met at a ballet show she did a few years back, she was great.'' Katherine says as she looks at us two. ''Do you need anything to eat or to drink?'' She asks as we start walking to the doors. I Look behind me to see George carry all our stuff so I take one of my bags off his shoulders feeling bad for him. He smiles at me in thanks as Katherine and Jackie continue to talk. I'll give them some time with just the two of them so they can get to know each other, however Jackie seems to not be in too good of a mood. Of Course I understand. As we walk outside I smile up at the sky, the warm sun and fresh air immediately making me feel better. I follow behind the others to this really long car and I smile. I don't know if the Walters have any children but guessing from the car they do. I place my bag in the trunk with George's help and slide into the seat next to Jackie. I smile at her, hoping to see if she is okay but she puts in her airpods and starts scrolling through her phone. I sigh as we begin to drive.

Here we go.