Chapter three

Cole

''Can you drop the attitude?'' Will says to me as we walk outside to get more of the boxes. ''You know what they have been through, even you must feel a little sorry for her.'' I almost snorted at his comment. Ofcourse I know what they have been through. But in this family you can't expect pity every single day. Life is hard, live with it. ''She will need this in this family.'' I tell him and that shuts him right up, good. We open the door to the barn and we both look at the pile of boxes with shock. There are at least thirty boxes, big ones too. ''Right well I have to go back to work, good luck.'' Will says and he pats me on the back. ''What you ca-'' But before I can complain about him leaving me he is gone. Asshole. I look at the boxes and see that they all have either Willow or Jackie written on them. I start by sorting out which ones are for Willow. And not very surprisingly, she only has ten boxes. The others are all for Jackie. The second I saw them today I was intrigued. I of course didn't show them but they are both beautiful. I don't know much about their story and before today I didn't care. But after seeing them, I want to know more. Jackie seems to be very caught up with herself. Sure she is pretty and looks to be kind but Willow is just something different. She is short for her age, because I know she is only one year younger than me. She seemed so shy but the way her eyes lit up looking at my brothers and sister play, or when she looked at Albert. It just did something to me. So that's why I started by bringing her boxes upstairs. I kind of feel bad for her, the attic is shitty. It is always too hot or too cold, but my parents fixed it up nicely. I knock on her door and hear a soft come in, so I do. She is sitting on her bed, legs crossed and a book in her lap. She looks up at me and I swear I can see her eyes grow for a split second. ''H-hi.'' She stutters and I laugh at how cute she is. I cover it up quickly though, I don't want her to think I am nice. I'm not nice. ''Why do you only have a few boxes?'' I ask her and she looks at me with a questioning look. ''You have ten and Jackie has twenty, why?'' She closes her book and smiles softly. ''I just didn't think that all the fancy New York stuff would be of any use to me here.'' I laugh at that, I expected her to be much more of a city girl. I decided to annoy her a bit, just to make sure she doesn't start warming up to me. ''What's in here huh?'' I ask and go to open the box at my feet. ''Don't!'' She jumps up and walks over to me but I already opened the box. Inside the first thing I see is a pair of ballet shoes. When I put them aside there are at least three more pairs and a few leotards. I look up at her and her face seems almost sad. She grabs the box away from me quicker than I can and walks over to her dresser. ''Please go.'' She says, her back turned to me. I look at her confused. Did she do ballet in New York? I suppose so, is that why is is suddenly so moody? She misses it like I mise football. Maybe we aren't so different afer all.

Willow

I started unpacking after Cole brought all of the boxes up to my room quietly. I am glad I didn't take all of my clothes because it would have never fit in here. This house feels so much more like home than the one we lived in back in New York. All the people really live here, they don't just act to impress. I really, really like that. I look outside while thinking about how much my life will change here. Tomorrow I have to go to a new school, and Jackie will try to get all the extra credit. But honestly I don't know what I am going to do. I almost had a scholarship because of ballet but before the deal got closed we had to move. Now I won't get a scholarship and I can't let the Walters pay for my schooling, I would feel so bad. So I will have to figure something out. I get pulled out of my thought bubble when someone knocks on the door. ''Willow, can I come in?'' Katherine asks. ''Yes, of course.'' I tell her and she walks in. ''Hi sweetie, I just wanted to check in on you.'' I smile at her and take a seat on my bed, making sure she can sit next to me if she wants. ''How are you settling in?'' She asks and I smile at her. ''I really love my room Katherine, thank you so much.'' She puts her hand on mine and holds it. ''I'm sorry it isn't bigger. We really tried but this was all we could do.'' I shake my head quickly. ''No, no I absolutely love it.'' She laughs and pulls her hand away. ''How are you? You know with the loss and everything.'' I almost don't want to answer, it doesn't really matter what I feel right? ''I'm okay, I am mostly just glad I don't have to go live with my dad.'' I half lie and her face drops a bit. ''I know how he has been the last couple of years and we won't force you to do anything you don't want okay?'' I nod, I know they won't. ''He was alright, I really loved ballet.'' I say as I look down at my fumbling hands. ''You know, if you want we can sign u up for this dance studio in town? I think it is pretty good.'' I look up at her wit joy but quickly realize it will cost them to much. ''It's okay, I don't want you guys to pay more then you need.'' ''What? No, you don't have to worry about that sweetie. If it makes you happy we will let you try out. You know just to see if you like it alright?'' I nod at her with excitement, I can't believe I don't have to fully give up on ballet. ''Thank you so much Katherine, for everything.'' She smiles at me and then gives me a hug i desperately needed. ''It's okay, and don't forget it's okay to be sad alright. You have feelings too and they are valid.'' I choke up a bit, that was so sweet. She pulls away and smiles at me one more time before wishing me a good night. I let myself fall on my back and crawl under the covers. My pajama set is cute and actually perfect for how hot it is up here. I think about how my life back home was. I don't miss it, but I do miss the few people that made it better there. Like my mom, she was always there for me when my dad pushed me too far again. Or the maid at my dads house who would always help me get ready, she really felt like the only friend I had back then. I really, really hope my dad won't try to get full custody over me anymore. I really, really do.