Chapter 26: Not Just a Wedding

Any remaining concern Ivy had about being overdressed for the wedding was immediately extinguished the moment she stepped outside onto the veranda. Ivy's eyes were instantly drawn to the crowd if that is even the right word to describe a gathering of people this extravagant looking. It turned out that Alice's dress was the standard of fashion: before Ivy stood a collection of wedding guests each appearing to outshine the next. It reached a point where Ivy felt as though she was wearing a paper bag amongst a room of royalty.

It was only after she had recollected herself that she noticed the scenery of the ceremony. Before her feet lay a slab of white and gold marble sprinkled with miniature sunflowers along the sides that extended down the aisle towards the front of the seats. At the end stood a large arbor that looked like it was made entirely of greenery. Primarily consisting of a variety of leaves, the arbor also had sunflowers, baby's breath, and deep blue hyacinths speckled throughout it. Beyond that, and surrounding the entire ceremony were several large gardens that contained every colored flower imaginable. Nevertheless, this still was not the most impressive part of the scenery, for beyond the veranda out in the distance stood the breathtaking view of the mountain range. On a cloudless day like today, Ivy could clearly make out the top of all the mountains.

Pointing toward the middle of the range Ivy asked "What mountain is that?"

"Mount Washington. It's where this place got its name. It actually has a pretty interesting history to it."

Ivy was surprised to find that Mr. Witherby now stood where B was beside her. "Oh, Mr. Witherby! I didn't know you were there!"

He chuckled deeply at Ivy's reaction, "Ivy, how long have you been living with us now? Please, forget the formalities, and just call me Braxton already!" He gave her a friendly nudge with his elbow and a wink as though this would solidify their friendship.

"Sorry! I think it's just where we are right now..." Ivy looked around the veranda again, as if that explained enough. "I've never been somewhere this nice before, never mind attended something this fancy. I guess I'm just a little nervous."

"Don't be. It's just like any other wedding, just with a lot more decorations." He gave another hearty chuckle to his own laugh.

Ivy gave a knowing giggle, "you can say that again." Again, her attention was drawn back to the view of Mount Washington. "What were you saying about this mountain again?"

Instantly, Braxton's eyes lit up with the same joy one might see in the eyes of a child about to show off his macaroni art. A smile broke across his face, and Ivy realized that this was the first time she had ever seen Mr. Witherby look so happy. With the air of an often repeated lecture, Braxton began to elaborate on the history of the mountain. "You see, Ivy, Mount Washington is most commonly known for being the tallest mountain in this region. It's no Mount Everest, but to the people here, it might as well be for how important it is for the tourism and economy." He leaned towards Ivy and pointed towards the mountain, "Do you see that kinda crack down the middle of the mountain?"

Ivy squinted her eyes as she looked down Braxton's pointer finger. Just like he said, there was a long black line that looked like the beginning of the mountain breaking in half.

Satisfied that she had discovered it, he continued, "That is the Mount Washington Cog Railway. Ever heard of it?" Ivy shook her head. "Well, thanks to a Mr. Sylvester Marsh, there is a train that travels all the way to the top" his pointer finger trailed up the crack towards the tip of the mountain. "When he originally came up with the idea, a train that can climb a mountain, everyone thought he was crazy. In fact, when he sought out the approval to begin his project, the committee said he might as well 'build a railway to the moon.' Not only did he prove those people wrong, but he ended up creating the first mountain climbing railway in the whole world." He paused as his story sunk in, "It's really quite impressive when you think about it." He continued to look out into the distance, a look of pride and longing written across his face. As he casually brushed the front of his crisp black suit, he apologized, "Sorry about that. I tend to lose myself a little when I talk about history."