CHAPTER ONE

Lyra lay in John B's bed, her body cradling a pillow close to her chest as she slept peacefully, undisturbed by the morning sun that streamed through her blinds

Lyra lay in John B's bed, her body cradling a pillow close to her chest as she slept peacefully, undisturbed by the morning sun that streamed through her blinds. However, when the beam of sunlight hit her face, she stirred and groaned, feeling the effects of the two bottles of vodka she had consumed the night before. As she was a morning person, waking up was usually a simple task for Lyra, but not today.

"Damn you, John Booker Routledge." She lets out a soft groan. John B must've intentionally left the binds open; he has often done that ever since she started slumbering at the Château, especially in his bed while he sleeps on a single-sized mattress on the floor. Lyra groggily sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, and stumbled over to the window to close the blinds against the bright morning sun; as she was about to do it, she glanced at her phone screen to know the time.

As Lyra surveyed her surroundings, the absence of electricity and the lack of company in the room were the first things she noticed. She reaches out for her phone, only to realise it is out of service. A sense of unease creeps up on her as she starts to wonder about the extent of the chaos that Agatha might have caused. In an attempt to distract herself, she busies herself by fixing the bed she had slept on. As she steps out of the room, she spots JJ slumbering peacefully on the couch.

"Hey, wake up, Maybank."

JJ's face contorts in agony as he frantically reaches for his shirt to cover it. A pitiful whine escapes his lips, "Only if you give me the kiss you owe me," He groaned.

Lyra scoffs at his response and abandons the blond young man alone. She makes her way outside onto the porch and takes a seat on the wooden steps, gazing out at the surrounding landscape. The aftermath of Hurricane Agatha is evident everywhere, with debris scattered about and trees uprooted from the ground.

"Agatha did some work, huh?" Lyra's attention was drawn as JJ's voice rose, and he directed his attention towards John B. "What about the DCS? Wasn't that today?" JJ questioned, his tone laced with curiosity.

JJ extends his hand, offering his drink to Lyra. She eagerly takes the glass from his grasp, savouring the refreshing liquid. Together, they make their way towards the dock where John B is scrubbing the boat's hull with a brush and bucket of soapy water. As they approach, John B looks up, his face breaking into a grin at the sight of his friends.

"Do you want some?" Lyra offered a drink to John B., but he immediately refused. However, JJ, who was also present, yanked the drink out of Lyra's hand, causing her to huff in frustration.

"Nah, they're not getting on the ferry." John B noted, referring to JJ's question earlier about the DCS.

"Come on, think about it. It's God telling us to fish." With a branch firmly held in his left hand, he raised it above his head as if to emphasise his point.

Lyra casts a glance over JJ, and suddenly, a sly grin spreads across their faces. Memories of old times come flooding back, and the excitement in the air is palpable.