CHAPTER TWO

“Well, that was fun

“Well, that was fun.” JJ kidded as their boat drifted on the marsh.

“You sure did have fun pinning your body over Lyra’s,” remarked Kie, causing JJ to turn beet red.

“Lyra enjoyed it, too.” JJ retorted, attempting to play it cool.

“Maybe I did,” Lyra gave an answer, causing JJ to gape in amazement. He scanned the others to see if anyone else had paid attention, but it seemed they hadn’t.

With a smug smile, he changed the subject, “Could have warned us a little sooner,” JJ spoke out, pertaining to Pope and Kiara.

Lyra nodded in agreement, “What happened to you guys being the lookouts?” she raised a question, relaxed and a few inches away from JJ at the bow.

“Well, yeah, unfortunately, Pope was on the math team,” Kiara responded.

“You were on the math team?”

“JJ, I literally dragged you to create a banner for one of his contests last year.”

“Oh,”

“The cops took everything like it was a crime scene. Did you guys find anything?” Pope queries, dismissing how forgetful JJ sometimes is—though it was expected from Lyra to remember it.

“Did we find anything? No, I don’t think so?” With a smug expression, JJ pulled out a bundle of cash and a firearm from his pockets. “Oh, yeah, we did.” He grinned, proud of himself.

Pope stands up, completely surprised and petrified. “Dude, what the hell?”

“Dude, what?” Kiara clamoured; she then eyed John B, dismissing her sharp stares, then to Lyra. “You were supposed to stop him from doing anything stupid!”

Lyra, however, seemed indifferent and said, “As if he listens to what I say. Besides, his fingerprints are all over the gun. He’d get in trouble if he just left it there.”

Pope and JJ began to argue about the stolen items. Pope was apprehensive about losing his merit scholarship, but JJ tried to calm him down by saying, “At least you have us, right?” JJ hushes him like a baby as he massages his hand on Pope’s cheeks.

“That wouldn’t make him feel better,” Lyra piped in as Kiara agreed. “No, it wouldn’t.”

After scouring the Grady White boat, the five-membered group returned to the docks. But as they were hanging out at the port, they found out who the boat’s owner was. It was Scooter Grubbs, and before they could ask for the finder’s fee, Grubbs was already pronounced dead. According to the blonde chick talking to the group—mainly John B, Scooter Grubbs were out during the storm.

As they comprehended the new information they gathered, the five teenagers drove back to the Château, still processing that the person they were looking for and the man who was the owner of the money and gun JJ stole were already dead.