Chapter 9

As Alex and Zack approached the house they noticed flashing lights, red and blue, four police cars, an ambulance and A police van.

"Excuse me you can't go in" an officer said "this is a crime scene" she explained, as she eyed Zack, suspiciously.

Zack shifted "our friend told us to come here, Jack, this is his house" Zack deadpanned.

"Jack Barakat?" She asked.

Alex nodded in response.

"Right" she murmured as she lead Alex and Zack to the back of an ambulance. "They're here for Jack" the officer said.

Medics looked up and nodded as they moved away and left the trio alone.

Jack had multiple stab wounds and a gun shot wound all in his lower back, his body was covered in blood, he looked like the the grim reaper. His body was swelling.

Zack and Alex were left speechless at the sight of Jack. Jack was lying on the stretcher with multiple stab wounds, and he looked like he was barely clinging onto his life. He was barely breathing and his whole body was swollen and covered in blood.

The medics and police officers were focused on trying to keep Jack alive, but it wasn't looking too good.

Alex and Zack couldn't believe what they were seeing. Jack was in a state of pure agony at this moment.

"What happened?" Zack whispered weakly.

Rian stepped into the ambulance, his body shaking "w-we were-" Rian stuttered "we-" Rian could barely speak, he kept choking on his own words, his eyes looked like clear ice, from the tears.

Rian took a deep breath, trying to compose himself, and finally managed to speak. "We were hanging out, just like any other night. Suddenly, a masked man barged in, demanding something we didn't have. When Jack refused, he attacked. It all happened so fast."Alex and Zack exchanged a horrified glance. The gravity of the situation sank in as they listened to Rian recount the harrowing events.

"We fought back, but he was armed and ruthless. Jack took the worst of it," Rian continued, his voice trembling. "We managed to scare the assailant off, but not before Jack got hurt."The ambulance jolted as it sped towards the hospital, sirens wailing in the background. The officers were discussing the incident outside, trying to piece together what had occurred.Zack's mind raced with a mix of shock and anger. "Did anyone recognize the attacker? Any idea why he targeted Jack?"

Rian shook his head, his eyes filled with frustration. "No, he was masked, and his voice was distorted. We have no clue why Jack was targeted."

As they reached the hospital, the paramedics rushed Jack inside. The atmosphere was tense, and Alex and Zack were left in the waiting area, grappling with the sudden turn of events. The weight of uncertainty hung in the air, and the reality that their friend's life was hanging in the balance was too much to bear.

The time they had seemed to stretch endlessly as they waited for any news about Jack's condition. The police officers took Rian's statement, and the trio felt a profound sense of helplessness.As the minutes turned into hours, Alex, Zack, and Rian huddled together, clinging to the hope that Jack would pull through. The hospital's sterile surroundings offered little comfort as they grappled with the aftermath of that fateful night, anxiously awaiting updates on their friend's fate.

Zack frowned as he looked at the floor of the ambulance, a sense of panic and fury in his brain, his heart raced, his breathing heavy and tears pooled in the corners of his eyes. 

"hey it wasn't your fault and it's not like you know who did it" Alex whispered as he rubbed Zack back. 

Zack flinched as he pulled away "I know" Zack mumbled as he sat quietly. 

The wait at the hospital was excruciating as the boys waited for any updates on Jack's condition. The three were sitting quietly, trying to process all that had happened. Alex and Rian both seemed completely shaken by the events of the night, but Zack was taking it particularly hard. He looked pale and tired, and his eyes were red from crying.