Grief

My heart raced as I reread the note over and over. I could feel a knot inside of my stomach forming, my breakfast was practically begging to be let out. My throat felt tight, his words suffocating me. My eyes stung as tears welled into them.

    Edgeworth wouldn't do that... Would he? We just proved his innocence. He was free from the chains of guilt, or so I thought. Why wouldn't he talk to me? Or Gumshoe? Or even Larry?

   I noticed the paper becoming wet and it took me a minute to realize they were my tears. My thoughts were racing and my brain wasn't working properly.

    I left his office, walked down the stairs, and back to my office. He's not dead. He... I had no other excuse. It was quite obviously a suicide note.

    Before I knew it I was in my office and I heard a sob and it took me a minute to realize that it was mine. I don't think I've cried like this before. I sat at my desk and cried, holding my face in my hands. I sat there for who knows how long.

     I wish that I could say he wouldn't do such a thing, but I do believe Miles Edgeworth is the type of guy to run from his problems. For some reason his name pains me.

    He's my best friend. And he's gone. He was...everything. He's the reason I am who I am. He's the reason I've aced every trial. He's... Dead. Every time the thought that he is actually dead resurfaces I find a new wave of tears coming out of my eyes.

    How can someone's heart feel so empty and heavy at the same time? I should have checked in more often and sooner. I should have known something was up. When isn't something up? I should have known. I should have known. I should have known.

    It only took a day for my grief to turn into anger. I was mad that he would do this to me. I was unjustifiably mad at everyone. I was mad at him for dying. I was mad at everyone who had died for being dead. I was mad at Maya for being gone and Larry for being incompetent. I was angry at myself for failing to see the signs.

    He was dead and I didn't even do anything to stop it. I couldn't help but feel responsible for everyone's deaths all of sudden and it was tiring. How many people's blood is on my hands? We can start with Doug. Then we have Mia and then Edgeworth.

    And just like that I'd be sad again.