In the dark

'Dear Mr. Sharma

This is to request you, in the light of Mr. Kohli's resignation, to take on the role of Test captaincy of the Indian cricket team from the next series onwards. The official statement shall be released after you let us know of your decision.

Regards...'

This time, Rohit didn't need to read through the mail again and again. He calmly typed out a reply that if the Board thought he was the best option, he accepted. Afterwards, he didn't get the urge to sleep. He went about with whatever he'd been doing (fixing a fallen eye off Samaira's panda swing), till Jassi called.

"Hello, Rohit bhaiya," he said. "Congratulations."

"Thanks, kiddo," said Rohit mechanically.

"I know you're not happy at all, but I'm happy enough for both of us. Of course, no one was happy at all when Virat bhaiya called that meeting and told us what he was about to resign, but eventually I figured you're becoming captain, and he's still going to be there in the team, so it can't be that bad, can it?"

"I hope not," said Rohit, mentally noting the 'when Virat bhaiya called that meeting and told us what he was about to resign,' part. "Even I was shocked," he lied with irony, "when he discussed me what he's going to do."

"But not too upset, right, Rohit bhaiya?" asked Jassi, like he was seeking assurance, but switched immediately to offering assurance. "It won't be at all bad, really--it will be just the same."

"I hope so, kiddo. It's going to be just the same."

_________________

The Indian team was in the airport, about to board the flight to the venue of the first ODI against South Africa when Virat saw Rohit's Instagram post, cynicism writ large all over it.

"What does he mean by such an emoji?" Ash, who must also have seen the post, was asking with a sigh.

"He knew, though," Jassi said. "He said Virat bhaiya discussed it with him--didn't you, Virat bhaiya?"

Virat grimaced.

"Er, in a way," he mumbled.

By then, of course, Virat had started to have certain well-deserved attacks of guilt. He'd discussed with Jinks and Rahul, he'd informed the whole team before he informed BCCI and the world, and he'd been unable to mention it to Rohit.

Of course, that reasoning had it's own layers of guilt hidden underneath.

The way he was dumping it all on Rohit because he couldn't take it any longer--even though Rohit was far more insecure about Tests than the other two. For heaven's sake, Rohit had become a regular in Tests just two years back, when Virat and Jinks had finally managed to convinced the Board to try him as an opener.

The post made Rohit's stance quite clear.

When their flight was being called for boarding, Virat took a smart decision: he'd call Rohit, at least, so Rohit couldn't say he didn't.

Maybe he'd been a little worried Rohit would ignore the call, but he didn't. Then, he worried Rohit would start yelling rightaway--he didn't.

"Rohit--"

"Yeah."

"How're you?"

"Not bad," said Rohit. "Heard you are resigning from Test captaincy. I'm sure you have your reasons, even if I'm not privy to them. Best of luck for the future."

"Don't repeat that post of yours," said Virat, getting uncomfortable. "Look, are you mad I didn't discuss it out with you?"

"No."

"You sound mad."

"I'm not mad," said Rohit, in a neutral tone. "It's perfectly fine, you can do whatever you want."

"Don't give me that parent line. If you're mad, tell me so I can--"

"Apologize?"

"If you're seriously mad, maybe," mumbled Virat.

"Well, there's no need to," said Rohit, coldness overcoming the indifference for a beat. "If there was any point in being mad, I would be. Then I would go one step further, too."

"Meaning?"

"You're my family, Virat," said Rohit in a flat tone that should never be associated with family. "I guess that's the worst part. I couldn't let you go even if I wanted to."

"Do you?"

"Do I what?"

"Do you want to let me go?" asked Virat.

"No," said Rohit.

"Then that's not the worst part, is it?"

"Maybe," said Rohit. "It doesn't really make a difference."

Now Virat felt pissed. Rohit had acted all cool with Jassi, but with Virat, he would never even put in the slightest effort.

"If you won't talk, how do you expect things to become all right?" he said.

"Aren't they already all right?"

"From the way you're talking, clearly not!"

"Oh, I see," said Rohit blandly.

"Honestly, Rohit, you're the limit," said Virat. "I'm tired of a friendship that needs so much effort."

Rohit was silent for a while.

"You'll notice I didn't say anything," he said. "I just said--do whatever you want, Virat. Safe journey."

__________________

Afterwards, in the flight, Virat felt all wistful.

He knew he had hurt Rohit really badly. Hurting Rohit often felt like physically injuring a part of his body which he couldn't quite locate. It pained--but he didn't know where.

But it was not just that.

For some reason, he kept thinking of their past, after their debuts, when they started playing for India together, from 2008...

Till 2013, when Rohit was in and out of the team.

Post 2013, when they were always together in the team.

2014...2015...2016...2017...

They used to fight all the time then, too. But the issues? Run outs. Him waking Rohit up unceremoniously. Rohit forgetting a plan of a meet-up. Or just when they'd gone a month or two without fighting, and things started feeling abnormal.

Never much more than frivolity.

Today--were they actually fighting about the BCCI sacking Virat from captaincy in one format and forcing it on Rohit, and Virat resigning from captaincy in another format and forcing it on Rohit? Because they couldn't even talk it out with each other?

Virat was startled as a tear drop fell on the tray table he was leaning over.

_________________

Virat called Rohit the moment the flight landed. 

This time, Rohit didn't pick up.

"Rahuliya?" Virat called. "Can you give Rohit a ring, please?"

"What? Okay..."

Virat wasn't surprised or indignant when Rohit answered Rahul's call. He took the phone while Rohit was saying, "Hello?"

"Rohit? Can you please forget everything for one minute and imagine we're still 28?"