Tea With the Emperor

The morning of the tea party arrived, and Vladimir spent the day eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Imperial Family. His mother, who was not usually an early riser, was already up and about, making sure that everything was perfect for their esteemed guests. Vladimir tried to act nonchalant, but he couldn't shake off the butterflies in his stomach. He ate breakfast with his father, took a leisurely walk with him in the garden, and then returned to the dinning-room to check on the arrangements. Everything was in place - the table was set with delicate china and silver, the flowers were arranged in graceful vases, and the air was filled with the enticing aroma of freshly baked pastries.

Around lunchtime, Irina and Natalia arrived at the house, accompanied by their governess. The two young princesses were bubbling with excitement, eager to meet the Emperor and Empress. Vladimir greeted them warmly and led them to the room, where his mother and father were waiting.

As the hours ticked by, Vladimir found himself pacing restlessly around the house, glancing out the window every few minutes for signs of the Imperial Family. The anticipation was almost unbearable. Finally, around mid-afternoon, the sound of cars pulling up outside announced their arrival. Vladimir rushed to the window, his heart pounding in his chest.  As the cars pulled to a stop, he could make out the Emperor, Empress and their children stepping out, their figures framed against the backdrop of the portico. 

They were greeted outside by his parents and, in no time at all, the Emperor and Empress entered the foyer arm-in-arm, their presence commanding immediate respect. The Emperor, despite his short stature, exuded an aura of power and authority. His kind smile and gentle eyes put everyone at ease.

Vladimir was always surprised when he realized how short he was, especially in a family of giants, such as the Romanovs, it would have been difficult to stand out, but there was an unmistakable aura and charisma about him that left no doubt that this was an important figure.

In contrast, his wife, although still elegant and imposing, seemed to be perpetually tired and suffering. She tried to smile momentarily when she greeted his father, which made her look a little less austere for a split second, but Vladimir noticed how the smile faded ever so slightly when she greeted his mother. After that, she let her husband do the talking and her lips remained shut in a tight, thin line throughout the rest of the conversation.

The Grand Duchesses followed suit, with their little brother Alexei nestled in the middle of them. They all seemed to be in good spirits, but Vladimir's keen eye couldn't help but notice that Olga seemed even thinner than the last time he had seen her.

It was also the first time he saw the two older sisters without their nurse uniforms and, once they had taken off their coats and hats, it took him a considerable amount of time to keep himself from staring at Olga's blond hair.

The meal went on without disturbances. Vladimir was sitting across the table from Olga, who asked him politely about his literary pursuits, but then preferred to turn her head towards her parents and listen to their casual conversation about Livada, their Summer palace in the Crimea, than to engage in further conversation with him.

At the other end of the table, Natalia was stealing all attention to herself. Without a shy bone in her body, she was happily babbling away about Paris and how much she missed it to Grand Duchess Anastasia while the Tsarevich listened attentively. It was also then that he realized that Irina was struggling to start a conversation with Grand Duchess Marie, so he decided to step in and ask her about her hospital in Tsarskoe Selo.

As the first part of the afternoon drew to a close, Vladimir noticed his father's subtle headshake, signalling that it was time for the children to leave the table so the adults could have a private conversation.