Versailles

Vladimir

Paris, June 1919

Paris shimmered in a fragile spring light. The air vibrated with a melody of hope, the clinking of champagne flutes from grand cafes overflowing with diplomats and socialites. The city, recovering from a brutal beating, wore its scars proudly – pockmarked buildings adorned with colourful banners celebrating victory. The aroma of fresh bread mingled with the ever-present tang of disinfectant from makeshift hospitals that dotted the city.

Laughter spilt out onto cobbled streets, a counterpoint to the rhythmic taps of a wooden leg on the pavement. A young man, his face etched with the horrors of the trenches, navigated the bustling crowds, reminding everyone of the war's enduring cost. A woman, her eyes dull with grief, held out a trembling hand for alms, her threadbare coat a reminder of the widows and orphans left behind.

Six years. It had been that long since Vladimir had last walked these streets. Though the buildings, parks, and even some faces seemed unchanged, a hollowness hung in the air. The war had carved its scars deep. Too many lives were extinguished, leaving a city struggling to rise from the ashes. These weren't just familiar streets; they were a poignant reminder of life before the world shattered.

Their return was driven by duty. Grand Duke Paul, Vladimir's father, served on the Russian legation at the ongoing Peace Conference in Versailles. Natalia's illness and arduous recovery had delayed their arrival, but now, two weeks after they had settled back in their old home, they awaited the imminent signing of the final treaty.

News from Russia regarding the treaty was a maelstrom of opinions. Grand Duke Michael and Prime Minister Prince Lvov had pledged regional referendums to decide the fate of territories seeking independence. As Michael had explained, a negotiated peace was preferable to bloody conflict. Better to let them go willingly than to lose them in a future struggle.

Throughout the past year, fifteen states, including the imperial cornerstones of Finland and Ukraine, had voted for independence, a decision now poised for official sanction with the treaty's signing. This, predictably, sparked outrage among conservative Russians. Victory in the war felt hollow with the empire fracturing. Four years of sacrifice seemed in vain.

Vladimir, who had fought until the last day, shared their frustration. Yet, a dedicated liberal who had devoured political commentary throughout the conflict, he recognized the tide had turned. He concurred with Grand Duke Michael – these nations' yearning for independence was inevitable. Better to weather discontent now than face a string of bloody conflicts later.

In Russia, some people resented him, but, in the newly independent states, Grand Duke Michael was hailed as a hero.

The referendum results and looming treaty also coaxed the first public utterance from the exiled Tsar on the Isle of Man. A scathing, anonymous article lambasting the decisions appeared in a conservative newspaper, and whispers quickly linked it to Nicholas or Alexandra, reminding everyone of the deposed royals' lingering influence.

Now, with the signing mere days away, another piece of news from the former Imperial Family was making headlines and seemed bound to overshadow the more mundane political manoeuvres in Versailles: Grand Duchess Tatiana and Prince Alexander of Serbia had announced their engagement the previous day.

Vladimir couldn't tear himself away from the articles, his gaze lingering on the photographs more than he cared to confess. Three images documented the news. One showcased Tatiana and Alexander seated opposite each other at a table. He beamed, a wide smile crinkling the corners of his eyes, the glint of happiness sparkling even behind his spectacles. Tatiana, the picture of composure and grace, offered a hint of a smile in return. Another picture depicted a more intimate moment: Tatiana seated, while Alexander stood beside her, his gaze filled with affection as he looked down at her. The final image was a heartwarming group portrait – the engaged couple surrounded by Tatiana's parents and sisters, all gathered on the stairs of what Vladimir presumed was their seaside farmhouse.