𝟬𝟮𝟭 i love you

SCAPEGOAT / Chapter Twenty-One

Malakai opened his front door, halting the insistent knocks on the wood. A grin made its way onto his face, happiness rising up inside of him.

"Hey, you—"

He cut himself off as Mike pulled him into a hug, arms wrapped tightly around his shoulders. "You're safe. I'm so glad you're safe." Mike's voice cracked and he buried his face in the fluff on the blanket wrapped around Malakai.

"Hey," Malakai said softly, patting the man's back, "I'm okay."

"Where did you—" Mike cut himself off as he pulled away from the hug. He grabbed Makakai's wrists, running a gentle thumb over his cuts. "Shit."

Malakai frowned, "Where's Abby? In the car?"

"In her bed."

"Who's gonna look after—"

"You're coming with me, Kai." Mike's hands moved from his wrists to his hands, intertwining their fingers tightly, "You need someone to look after you."

A warmth spread through Malakai at that. And then, a sense of alarm: he didn't want to be a burden. He wouldn't let himself turn into that. "This is fine! This happens all the time, I'm used to it. I'm okay—"

"You're clearly not okay when you've tried to kill yourself!"

Malakai flinched at the shout. His eyes squeezed tight, entire body starting to shake as he quickly shook his head from side to side, "I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. I didn't..."

"No, no, it's okay." Mike said immediately, touch gentle as he tilted the man's chin up so Malakai was forced to open his eyes and meet his regretful gaze. "You've got nothing to be sorry about. I shouldn't have shouted and I won't do it again. Let's just, um...How bad are your cuts?"

Malakai shrugged, "They don't hurt. And they're not too deep."

"They look deep."

Shaking his head, Malakai couldn't help the protest leaving his mouth, "Only a little deeper than I normally go."

"Okay. Um, I can—" Mike blinked rapidly, mind clearly whirring as he thought of what to do—"I'm gonna take you to my house, then I'm gonna fix up your cuts."

Malakai nodded, "But you can't fix me." Upon Mike's confused look, he let out a small sigh, "I'm just...broken. And I try and I try, but I can't change... I'm really happy you're here, though. You make the bad things go away for a bit."

Mike smiled, "That's good. Now, come on."

Pulling the blanket closer around him, Mike led Malakai out of the house and toward his car. He set Malakai in the passenger seat, treating him gently, in a way Malakai wasn't aware he could ever be worthy of. He watched as Mike got into the seat beside him, studying the man's features.

He was perfect.

Malakai had the sudden urge to...He shook his head, trying to remove the thoughts out of his mind. And yet, he couldn't help wondering how Mike's lips would feel against his own.

"So, do you still not wanna talk about it?"

"About what?" Malakai blinked in confusion, having to mentally kick himself to force his gaze away from the man's lips. Instead, he made eye contact—but that only filled him with more need.

Hazel brown, Mike's eyes glimmered with a deep sense of concern. With understanding. They had a captivating warmness, mirroring the richness and complexity of a cup of coffee. It seemed like such a basic thing to compare such an amazing person to, but Malakai had realised something.