Chapter 7 - Archer's POV

"You're Elven, aren't you?"

The question hung in the air, almost like an accusation, even though I hadn't meant it that way.

The sorcerer laughed softly, tucking their purplish hair behind their ear to reveal the exaggerated point at the tip. The hair was woman-like, but I still couldn't tell whether they looked more masculine or feminine — somehow, they were both. Either way, the more I looked, the more I realized all their features were so obviously Elven that I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed before.

"Amazing, how you can be so blind to what's right in front of you," the sorcerer said, and they turned fully to face me, their eyes holding me glued to the spot, "isn't it, Archer?"

I could only stare openly. I had no idea that Elves still lived — or that they'd ever existed at all. Was this sorcerer the only one left? That seemed incredibly lonely...

The sorcerer bowed their head. "Indeed, it is rather lonely. I am the last of my kind, and so I have made it my goal to pass on the Elven practice of magic to another before my time comes. Such knowledge must never be lost to history."

"And when will that be?" I asked, unable to stop myself. "Your 'time'?"

The sorcerer smiled at my insensitivity. "Not much longer, I'm afraid. Although to you, it might seem ages."

"Right..." I muttered, not fully understanding. I mean, I guess they were centuries old at most. I glanced at the open window, watching as a group of those beetles drifted by. "So... what was all that about? Y'know, with the creepy glowing bug."

"Fireflies are incredibly magical creatures. If shown respect, most creatures are willing to enlighten those who ask questions — so long as the inquisitor is worthy of an answer, that it," the sorcerer explained, somehow not answering my question. They met my eyes again, and it felt even more intense when I could see their face. I knew they were reading into my soul again, but there wasn't anything I could do about it, so I just let it happen — no matter how much I wanted to punch that weird smile off their face.

As if in response, the sorcerer suddenly smiled wider, looking as though they'd discovered something interesting about me. For some reason, heat crept into my face, as if I'd revealed some embarrassing secret. The problem was, I had no idea what it was. What the hell is that all about? I wish they'd stop invading my privacy like that.

The sorcerer closed the window with a hand as smooth as hardened wax, cutting off the stream of moonlight, using their other hand to pull their hood up once more. "That firefly gave me very crucial information. Once I relate it to you, your quest will have begun. Are you certain you are prepared?"

I frowned. I thought the quest began the instant I accepted it in the village, like all the other quests. Hadn't that aimless meandering through the swamp been the first trial?

If all that traveling and dealing with weirdo sorcerers had only been the prologue, I could only imagine how much more difficult things would get from here on out. Any other hero probably would've dreaded it, but the thought only made me a hell of a lot more excited. This wasn't going to be like any other quest I'd ever taken.

"You bet your ass I am," I answered, spurred on by the direction things were taking. The sorcerer sniffed in disapproval toward my vulgarity, but I grinned unapologetically.

"Fine, but as you already realized, I have one condition."

"Which is...?"

"Once you acquire the Lyfe stone, I require you to return to me," they bargained. 

It sounded simple enough, but I figured there was probably some other motivation behind it. They probably just wanted to steal the stone for themself, but it didn't matter to me, since my quest was only to find it, not use it. I couldn't give two shits about the stone as long as I completed my quest.