Chapter 7 - Cedar's POV

I made it to the top of the North Peak without any trouble, and once I got to a point where I could see all around me without anything obstructing my vision, I decided that was as good a spot as any to take a break.

I collapsed onto a mound of grass, pulling some bread and ham out of my pack. I wished I had some cheese to go with it...

Chewing absently on my lunch, I let my mind wander, my gaze drifting into the line of trees halfway down the mountain. I hadn't seen any wildlife — aside from insects and birds — and I wondered if that had anything to do with the looming gray storm clouds on the southern horizon. Hopefully, it wouldn't storm until I returned to the Trader's Path.

If only I had a way to gauge how long I had until the clouds reached me. Like a storm-predicting ring, for example...

I grinned, diving into my pack to retrieve the trinket. I fumbled around, pausing when my hand nudged the books I'd bartered. I stared down at the binding of Magic in Nature; A Must-Have For Every Young Mage!, contemplating.

On a whim, I pulled the volume out, flipping it open to a random page. I bought it, so I might as well use it, right?

Taking another bite of ham-on-bread, I stared down at an image of a vibrant red-orange dragonfly, the passage beneath describing its uses and powers.

"The Phoenix Dragonfly possesses properties similar to that of the firebird. Much like its namesake, the Phoenix Dragonfly is capable of healing by landing on the wound of any injured creature. They are a peaceful species, and often heal wounds without being summoned, which causes many to believe they are drawn to the scent of blood, and may even feed off of it (though this is unproven).

"Even in death, the Phoenix Dragonfly has many useful properties. Crushing up the corpse of a Phoenix Dragonfly produces a powder, which — when mixed into water — creates a healing potion more effective than those bought from potion masters, and can even heal mental trauma. Besides serving as an effective medicine for anxiety, Phoenix Dragonfly powder is often used in tinctures to promote energy, hormone regulation, anger management, and sleep assistance."

There was a brief warning passage, stating, "To kill a Phoenix Dragonfly is a cursed act. Killing any creature for one's own needs is against Mage Code, and in the case of the Phoenix Dragonfly, it will result in a slow-healing curse, which can be fatal with even the most minor injuries." It then described the Phoenix Dragonfly's habitat (near lush areas with flowing water).

I smirked, a familiar scowling face coming to mind at the medicinal uses of the dragonfly. Anger management, huh? I could think of one specific hero that could use some help with that...

But thinking of the scowling face (which I'd admittedly started to grow a little fond of) triggered the memory of another, this one cruel, merciless.

My stomach turned over. I glanced over my shoulder out of habit, but my eyes landed on nothing but the mountainside, tall grass swaying gently in the rain-scented breeze, plunging into the greenery of the woods below.

The two heroes were nothing alike — of course they weren't. But with the recent incident so fresh on my mind, it seemed any thought would eventually lead to the flashes of harassment I'd experienced.

Swallowing against the feeling of my lunch climbing up my throat, I faced forward again and set down my half-eaten meal, ignoring the way my hands shook. I'd tried to avoid thinking about the... encounter, but there was something about it that just didn't make sense to me, no matter how I looked at it.

I was scrawny; there was no denying it. My limbs were about as tough as twigs. I'd had no strength against my attacker — that much had been obvious when I tried to push him off me to no avail. 

And yet, somehow, I had managed to send him flying.

It just didn't make any sense.

I remembered that weird pulse of adrenaline — or whatever it was; the more I thought about it, the less I felt that it was adrenaline at all. It was more like... energy? I didn't know how to explain it. Whatever it was, a wave of it had plunged down my arms and gathered in my hands — like a buildup of static electricity.

A falcon cawed overhead, breaking me from my reverie. I looked up to find it circling above me, drifting slowly downward — probably hunting for creatures in the tall grass.

The falcon swooped into a nosedive as if on cue, snatching something small and furry out of the grass with its talons. It soared back overhead, dropping its prey on a boulder just a few feet away from me.

I watched it land with bated breath. I'd never been so close to an animal before; it was kind of cool. Its feathers were smooth, unruffled by the south wind. Their white and brown coloring looked similar to quills sold by fellow traders. I wondered whether the quill makers plucked the feathers straight off the falcons or just picked them up where the creatures shed them.

A thought occurred to me — a thought I couldn't believe had come so naturally:

Did falcons have any magical properties?

I consulted my new book. Sure enough, there was a section on birds, with a short paragraph dedicated to falcons a few pages in. They didn't have many magical properties, though it was rumored that falcons had been used by Elven mages in delivering messages. Like crows, they were highly intelligent, and both birds could be used interchangeably for the same purposes.

I flipped through the pages, learning more and more about magic found in nature with every sentence I read. There were so many creatures and plants with amazing properties, some so powerful they could cure any ill. I found it strange that I'd never known any of this before — but then again, magic was rare these days. There was no one to perform the spells listed on these pages.

If I had magic, I found myself thinking, I could help so many people, adventurers and villagers alike! If I was a mage, I could be a hero in my own way. I could heal the physical and mental traumas of other heroes! I could protect the helpless, and defend myself, too.

I could be more than just Cedar the Useless Trader.

If only...

Spirits dwindling, I flipped back to the beginning of the book, my eyes skimming the introduction. There was a small passage on how many mages discovered their abilities, with excerpts from old interviews with sorcerers. There was even a list of all sorts of common symptoms and sensations, ranging from accidental spell-casting to —

My stomach fluttered. To unexplainable pulses of energy.