A Flower For You

Decided to post an old oneshot I wrote a while ago! Just a ficlet, 970 words ^^

˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

For Sam, today wasn't exactly the best.

Today, he and Kit had a case in the Australian Outback involving a difficult Tasmanian Devil that was stealing from the locals. Cubby had been assigned to go with them on the case for more practice. Now, this wouldn't have been a big problem... normally. But today was different. For some reason, it had began to rain! Out of anytime and any day, Mother Earth decided to make it rain the exact time and day they were dealing with a somewhat interesting. And because of how dry the Outback can be, it not only rained, but it flooded! So they had to help all the residents pack their things, evacuate all of them to higher ground, and then save the poor bandit's tail too. He was all sandy and soggy by the end of it.

And after that case, when he and Kit thought they'd be able to get a bit of well earned rest, Director Scratch had called upon them again. Two cases in one day wasn't unheard of for Sam and Kit. The two had dealt with multiple cases in one day before and it's never been a problem. But this time Sam felt very tired, and his fur was quite waterlogged. As for the case, Sam would've rather dealt with anything other than more water, but fate had other plans. An alligator hatchling had wondered from his nest while his mother wasn't looking, and he was nowhere to be found. And of course they had to be in the swampy Everglades! So, after about another hour of rummaging through the wet, uncomfortable and dirty waters, they'd found the baby croc and reunited him with his mother and siblings.

It's not like Sam didn't like helping those creatures. It's his whole job to do so, and it's not (exactly) their fault that something went wrong! But sometimes it can be quite draining... exhausting even.

After all that, Sam took a much needed shower and finally dried himself of that icky mud-filled water. Come afternoon, it's dinner time. Kit and himself were craving a meal, as they hadn't eaten since breakfast time — which wasn't more than a piece of toast for both of them as they were in a rush. But with their luck, they were late. This meant they'd gotten the last pickings and weren't left with munch. And to make matters worse, the already grey and gloomy clouds began to drizzle. And soon enough, that drizzle turned into heavy rain. And at the same time, Kit unexpectedly got up and left him! The nerve of some foxes.

It was safe to say that Sam had a good reason to be in a mood.

Right now, he laid on his bed staring at the wall boredly with his covered tucked tightly around him. It's not like he had anything better to do! If he was lucky, he could get a bit of shut eye and forget about this dreadful day. But he still had energy, too much to just fall asleep.

Maybe he could train? That'd take his mind off things. But... no. He always trained with Kit, and she wasn't here right now. Now that he realizes it, he does a lot of things with Kit. Makes sense since they're partners and best friends, but it's still odd to think about. He doesn't really enjoy himself as much as he does when he's with Kit. He curled up a bit more and closed his eyes with a sigh.

Then he heard their automatic door open. It must be Kit, since she's the only other agent that could open the door with an ID. At least that meant she was finally back! He rose up and was about to turn to greet her, when he smelt rain and... mud?

"Don't turn around yet! I got something for you~." She said in a sing-song voice.

Sam frowned, twitching his whiskers. "And what would that be?"

The vixen hummed, "I wanted to say sorry for bailing on you earlier, but I wanted it to be a surprise."

"You're forgiven. But if the gift is you tracking mud into the room, don't think I'll be thankful!" Sam said with a tinge of humor. "So, what'd you get me?"

Kit giggled, "Turn around and find out! I swear I didn't track to much mud in."

With fake grumpiness, the big snow leopard turned around. But that grumpiness was quickly replaced with shock. There Kit stood, her yellow fur and pink cloths damp and muddy. She looks like she's been digging, and those muddy paws were all the proof he needed. In those paws were probably the most beautiful flowers Sam's seen. Colorful shades of yellow to pink Zinnia flowers were clasped in her paw, so many that Sam couldn't even count them all!

"These are Zinnia flowers, yes?" Kit asked, walked up to the bed. Sam scrambled up and to the edge of the bed.

"How- what?" Sam fumbled, staring in awe at the pretty flowers. "W-Where did you find these? They don't grow anywhere near HQ!"

Kit cheekily giggled yet again, handing Sam the flowers. "Don't tell the Stinkwells. I used RON while they were in their lab."

"You sneaky fox!" Sam snickered, covering his mouth.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm a saint." She rolled her eyes. "I did a bit of research about these flowers, they symbolize friendship, right?"

Sam nodded, staring at Kit for a moment. She went all the way to South America just to get him some flowers? It seems like she had to get pretty down and dirty to do it too. He looked down to the flowers, a warm smile creeping onto his face.

Then, Kit broke the nice silence with a sneeze. Just great.

"And... you got yourself sick."