Ch. 16 War Witch

Mihra: Not again...Of course, those two would go and get googly-eyed on me. Well, Mihra, the mission is still the mission.

She looked around to grasp a starting point. The bustle of the patrons didn't bother her. She more or less enjoyed the crowds. From birth, she was always an object of speculation. The twin's path, sculpted by their father, had been in motion even before their conception. A God known for his charisma and insatiable thirst for war, he set to produce the perfect specimen. In his pursuit, he had many offspring until falling under the spell of an enchantress. It is said that his infatuation for her was so strong, he tossed his pursuit of the perfect being aside, even forgetting about his own offspring. He even grew cold towards his many concubines, the only objects of which he once gave affection, and spent his days tending to the every need of the enchantress.

Even his thirst for war was quenched in the presence of her. This began to cause problems for many rulers of nations, as their men paid homage to the god to attain the spoils of victorious war. Armies became unmotivated, lethargic shells in the war god's absence, causing a shift in control amongst kingdoms and realms.

Astonished by their brother's change in motivations, other deities advised him of the consequences of his actions to no avail. A lesser war god sought the opportunity to gain prominence in his absence and staged a coup in the late hours to ambush the lovestruck divinity. Though her father was warned of the attack, he chose to stick by his lover's side to protect her. The lesser god's armies stormed the shores while he lay with his lover. When it was apparent that his presence put her in more danger, he tore himself away to defend their home. Before he departed, he said these words, "My heart is why I'm here, so my heart I leave to you," then disappeared into the night.

The battle went from days, to weeks, to months, with the crescendo seeming to Mark the end of the war god's reign. Beaten and battered, he gathered his last bearings to quench his war thirst one last time, which would most likely be his blood. Today the god of war was ready to die. But his dream of the perfect offspring had finally been realized, the enchantress had conceived the night of the battle's inception, and tonight she would give birth. The God fought past even his last breath, as his ax fell he fought until his head would. When the moment seemed to be seconds away, he was greeted by the sounds of twin baby girls. The joyous sounds of their voices rang throughout land. Charged with immense magical energy their cries morphed to unbearable screeches to all, besides the parents who had given them this power. The screeches rang until every combatant was immobilized or dead, including the lesser God leading the charge. The coup was over.

From that day forward, Mihra & Sabine were known as the "War Witches", heralds of the God Of War.

"Well hey there honey, you're a little cutie."

A half-dressed silver siren, called towards Mihra as she passed by. She twirled her icy white hair between her fingers as feathers of the same hue floated and fluttered over her lady bits.

"Oh yeah! She's a stone-cold Medusa!"

Another siren with sparkling lavender hair joined her. She too was barely clothed, with flexible wiry branches wrapped around her midsection that bloomed violet flowers. They stopped at the top of her thigh forming a makeshift tube top who's roots seemed to originate from her own body.

Violet Siren: That face, those eyes, hmm. They'd love a pretty little thing like you.

Out of her tubtop of branches the siren pulled a handful of shimmering jewels on a necklace. She hung it over Mihra's head, slowly running it along her neck and chest.

Silver Siren: Everyone comes to District Black for something, whatever it is we can provide. Protection. Family. Riches...

She rubbed Mihra's cheek with the back of her hand, stroking it gently. It was cold there, but when her hand touched Mihra, warmth shot from her cheek through her entire body, with the most intense sensations being in regions she never thought could feel that way. Mihra gasped, then slapped the siren's hand away.

Mihra: No thanks!

Silver Siren: Ah, that fire! You're not one for material things I see. What is it you desire then?

Mihra: I DESIRE nothing you two can offer me.

Violet Siren: A feisty one. Maybe a pack of centaurs to ravish would quell her little soul. They always aim to please.

She looked Mihra seductively up and down, nibbling the tip of her index finger.

Mihra: Sorry ladies, I'm more groomed for the top of the kingdom, not on the streets of it. I'll pass.

Silver Siren: I've been to heights you couldn't dream little girl. I've felt the depths of demons you couldn't even serve in death! How dare--!

Violet Siren: Shhhh. Now Mivva, let the girl make her own decision. The district is an awful place if you're not familiar. If she doesn't come with us, she'll be ripe for someone's picking.

Mihra: Unlike you, I'm not some helpless flower waiting to be plucked.

Mihra was starting to become visibly angered by the altercation. She understood that regardless of their words, she wouldn't be fleeing off a simple decline of proposition.

Violet Siren: I think we made her mad. Look at that cute face. You know, I swore I've seen it somewhere.

Silver Siren: Speak for yourself, I'd remember such a cunt. Our patrons wouldn't dare. Well there was that one, he's as much of a lost cause as his father.

Violet Siren: Mmmm. Yes I do remember him. Would've loved to stroke my fangs along those loins.

She bit her bottom lip until a trickle of blood leaked from it and dripped down the corner of her mouth.

Silver: What do they call him again? Terry....Tracy...Thomas...

Violet: Towlin! That's right. Would love to tear a piece of that one. BIG daddy issues. Couple of the girls tried to break him, but all he does is bitch about how daddy won't acknowledge him. Now he sings his woes to the cats at Kad's.

Mihra paused. That name, she knew it well, deeply and intimately.

Mihra: Cut your cackles before I do it for you!

Violet: Ah. There it is. No wonder that anger found my spot. I suppose that makes you a kin?

Silver: My Persephone, I think you're right. Aw poor girl.

The two's laughter heightened, delighted by Mihra's discomfort.

Mihra: I said SHUT UP!

Violet: We're in the presence TRUE royalty, better watch our tongues hehehe

Sliver: Well what do you know, we must be soothes. Isn't that bother dearest over there?!

Mihra turned to the direction they were looking, and there he was. His flame-tinted hair floated above broad shoulders. She thought it may have been one of their tricks but it was undeniable. It was him. Shoving her way past the two, she pursued the broad shouldered being. She pushed her way through the crowd until she got about three arm lengths.

All of her doubts were put to shame after getting just close enough to see the brand on the back of his neck, a symbol they both shared. He had gotten his by choice, but Mihra's was not. It was a seal, a dam on her magical ability, just like those on her hands. Her brother, a brutal warling himself, thought the containment was cruel, especially since it was that power which saved his father. As a rebellion, he branded himself with a tattooed version of the seal. That one act meant the world to them both, leaving the softest place in their hearts for their big brother.

Mihra reached as far as she could to grasp his shoulder but it was apparent he was out of reach. She shouted his name to no end but her whales were drowned out by the sounds of the city. He pulled ahead of her once more taking a turn down an alleyway. When she finally caught back up turning onto the alley, he was gone. She had reached a dead end.

Mihra: A WALL?! Where did this come from?!

In front of her at the end of the alley stood a pitch-black wall. The wall was glossed and she could see a perfect image of herself starting back. She looked up, and before her, stood a grand black pyramid, one of the biggest she'd ever seen. At the tip, hovered a massive black sphere with fluorescent neon pink writing orbiting it. The words read, "Kad's Black Moon".

--