The Phone

Alan was smiling like a kid on Christmas morning as walked down the corridor away from Jeff's apartment. He reached a hand up to the left side of his chest. He felt the quickening thump of his heartbeat beneath his skin.

Their conversation at Jeff's apartment door replayed in his mind.

"Can I now call myself Alan's boy?"

Did the kid really just say that? The thought swirled like a tornado in his mind.

And why did those words make him feel like his heart was about to jump out of his ribcage?

He shook his head. The kid was most likely joking. Just teasing the old man, he concluded, feeling slightly dejected.

Bright sunshine stung Alan's eyes as he exited the building and stepped back out onto the street. He smiled again as he started to walk back towards his car.

He was so happy when the kid had opened the door. A mixture of relief and joy had spread across his face when Jeff had smiled back at him.

He'd done a good thing giving Jeff his phone, at least he'd be able to contact him. He made a mental note to get a new one for himself on the way home.

Suddenly his feet stopped moving, frozen still on the sun soaked pavement. His right hand reached up and he began rubbing the bottom of his neck.

The smile slowly vanished from his lips.

"Jeff's got my phone" he whispered under his breath.

Then louder "Shit! Jeff's got my phone!"

<><><>

Jeff sat down on the sofa and decided to put the tv back on. The program he was watching when Alan arrived was long since finished but he thought he could find something else that peaked his interest. He soon settled on a classic car restoration show and put his feet up on the coffee table in front of him, relaxed.

He was thirsty. Leaving his viewing spot momentarily to grab a cool drink from the refrigerator, something caught his eye on the kitchen counter.

A phone. Alan's phone to be exact.

"So you haven't read the messages at all?"

Alan's voice echoed in his head as Jeff recalled the exchange from only a mere 30 minutes prior.

Those unseen messages were on that phone, within arms reach.

Wouldn't hurt to look, he thought to himself.

Why wouldn't Uncle let him see the phone earlier? What could he have sent? His curiosity peaked.

He'd given him the phone to use as he wished, no conditions attached.

And besides, Kenta had obviously seen the messages so what was wrong with him, Jeff, the actual intended recipient taking a look?

Decision made.

He swiped the phone up with his spare hand and returned to the sofa.

Jeff looked at the phone screen as it lit up in his palm.

"Argh Uncle really!" he said with a shake of his head. Alan had no lock code on his phone.

Easy access for him at least.

His eyes searched the screen for the messaging app, his thumb reaching to touch it once he'd located it at the bottom right corner.

Why did he feel like he was doing something wrong?

This was, for all intents and purposes, his phone now.

App open.

He mumbled names as he searched for his own.