Chapter 23: Your best

Notes: Bare with me if there's any mistakes lol enjoy

----------

Hanni's surprised when many people recognize her.

She's lost count of the amount of swimmers and coaches who have come up to her, excited to finally meet her. Her average approaches produce results of her fingers pushing her glasses up her nose at the amount of times she's had to bow.

It's been hours since the first half of the event took place, the second half beginning the next day. Her school wasn't going to start their events until the next day, so they were free to explore the area.

"Hanni Pham? Who would've known?" The brunette winces at the voice that calls for her. She turns around, meeting familiar faces.

The same girls from the locker room. What a jolly.

Hanni simply smiles at the girls, stuffing her hands into her pocket. "Hey girls, enjoying your time so far?" Her mouth feels sore from faking the motion.

The first girl scoffs, seeming annoyed by Hanni uptight approach. She cocks her head to the side. "While I enjoy your flattery, I think its best for you to know that this is not what we're here for." The girl faces Hanni, a smirk occupying her lips.

The second girl nods along, crossing her arms. "Our school is going to win and we'll make sure you feel every emotion possible when you lose to us." The girl laughs, whipping her hair.

Suddenly, a hand wraps around the brunette's arm, a familiar perfume scent engulfing her sense already.

"Like Hanni would ever lose to people like you." Minji chuckles with her signature, the one Hanni used to be at the receiving end of. It was one that easily riled people up.

Another girl steps up to approach the raven, but Hanni steps in front of Minji, towering over the other girl. The girl backs up, mumbling something under her breath.

The raven tugs gently on her team jacket, a silent message telling her that it was time to go. "See you tomorrow." Hanni smiles cheekily before turning around to walk away with Minji.

When they're faraway, swarmed in the mess of swimmers, staffs and coaches, Hanni squeezes the raven's hand.

"Thanks. Had you not been there, I would've gotten disqualified in the blink of an eye." The brunette nudges the raven's side with their knuckles.

Minji rolls her eyes. "I can't believe they're still mad about the last time we met when they were the ones who started it." She replies, eyes glimmering at an old friend who passes by.

The brunette follows the raven wherever she takes them. They appear in the natatorium, loud with cheers from the people filling the area. Minji pulls her up the stairs, walking toward the rest of their team.

They sit down, turning their attention to the huge pool. Hanni's heart speeds with excitement, in disbelief that they qualified far enough to participate in such an event.

Wonyoung points toward the pool. "Guys, look!"

Their eyes follow Wonyoung's fingers and Hanni sees a mix of red and blue jackets standing not too far from the pool, clipboards in their hands.

It takes a bit more squinting before Hanni figures out that they're staff from the national team.

"Coach Kim might be here."

"Shit, they're scouting people for the new roster of the national team. I heard they're making a second team because there's so many talented swimmers." Danielle explains to them.