6- Selene's version

Selene was putting the finishing touches on the makeup.

Through the reflection of the mirror, she could see how Severus looked at her in silence, moving his eyes slowly over her body, and she, partly guessing his thoughts, grew imperceptibly hot. She liked when he looked at her that way, but she didn't want to be distracted. She knew that if she turned to him, they would never go to dinner.

Although she had been the one who had insisted on accepting the invitation, in the last few hours she had been getting more nervous. She didn't know to what extent the Malfoys were aware of her status as a squib, and besides, she had just remembered that Narcissa was the sister of her former guardian Bellatrix.

"I'm starting to doubt this is a good idea," she confessed. "I'm convinced that all they want is to laugh at us, or gossip."

Severus, however, simply crossed his arms and smiled.

"Core, it's too late to refuse the invitation," he also didn't like the idea of spending the entire night at the Malfoy's house, as if he had nothing better to do, but he knew Lucius too well. He wasn't going to let them escape so easily. "We just have to play along so that they are satisfied and don't bother us again for a long time."

"I know we can't decline the invitation, but... I don't think I'm up to it," she murmured. "I confess that they intimidate me a little," she tilted her head to look at the ground, and her movement freed a lock of her hair, which covered her face.

Severus understood what she meant. He knew Lucius' elitist ideals better than anyone, and he was also worried about how the night would play out.

"Of course you'll be up to the task, Core," he reached out without thinking to brush the lock out of her face. Lately, his gestures had become more sporadic and less rehearsed, and he no longer had to mentally remind himself that Selene wanted physical contact. "You shouldn't worry about that."

He didn't know if his words helped or not, but the contact of his fingers with her skin produced a soft tingling that ran through them both, making them look into each other's eyes without saying anything.

Lately, every time they touched each other they noticed something similar, but the sensation was new, different from the usual desire they already were used to. This was something softer and deeper, which left them confused.

Selene broke eye contact and focused on the man's appearance to hide her embarrassment.

"Well, since we have no choice but to go, you might as well get ready," she said, expertly straightening Severus' robes. He didn't stop her, but he didn't do anything to help her either. "Don't you have no remedy?" Selene asked, observing that the tunic was still wrinkled.

"If I had it, you would have already noticed it," he replied ironically. "Leave it alone, Core, no one is going to care about my appearance," Severus held the woman by the wrists, so that she would leave his robe alone.

"But I care!" she replied, with more vehemence than she intended. Severus looked at her with a raised eyebrow, surprised by the impetus of her comment, but Selene remained firm and very stiff, despite the sudden blush on her face. "I mean... they'll think I'm a bad wife if I let you go to that dinner dressed like you are," she explained.

"At this point do you still care about what they think of you?" Severus joked, without letting go of her.

He knew that Selene was trying hard to appear confident. Her confidence had increased since her time at university, but it was clear that there was a part of her that was not quite comfortable since the loss of her magic.

"Well, I do, and you should care too," Selene responded, abruptly letting go and turning around to put on her earrings.

Severus laughed to himself, curious about the woman's behavior and her sudden blush, but ended up indulging her and fixing his clothes behind her back. Selene saw him in the reflection of the mirror and smiled triumphantly.