Chapter Seven

Claire

Claire sat on a stool at the counter that had quickly become her usual spot. She was happily taking Rob up on his offer to feed her three square meals a day. His son really knew how to work a griddle. She'd ordered blueberry pancakes and sausage for the second day in a row and her stomach was happy, even if the rest of her wasn't.

"Looking forward to your appointment?" Rob asked as he put a pot of coffee on to brew.

"Of course not." She rolled her eyes. She'd already filled him in on her meeting with Brandon yesterday and he laughed too hard for her taste when she explained why she had to run to the bathroom when she got back. "I had no idea he was such an asshole."

Rob gave her a reprimanding look. "I know you don't want to hear it, but he hasn't had the easiest life. He was just a kid when his dad left. His mom was in pieces after that. All he really had was his grandparents."

"Are they still....?" She trailed off, hoping her ambiguity asked the question for her.

"Yep, they're in an old folks home about a half hour south of here."

"That's good." She nodded. Then annoyance bubbled up again. "But, you know what, that's no excuse. Pierce and I were close but I still didn't have in my life full-time. My mom is a piece of shit." She felt a pang of guilt. "Sometimes. She's a piece of shit in some respects. And I'm not a dick."

"Well, not everyone handles things the same, sweetheart." He folded his arms across his messy apron. "Especially men. We internalize everything and then when it comes out, it comes out wrong."

She scoffed. "You guys should really work on that. It's the 21st century now, women aren't going to put up with it anymore."

He belly laughed and it made Claire smile. If more people in town were like Rob, a life in Earnston could be fulfilling. "I guess I'm lucky my wife doesn't mind putting up with me then."

Claire waived it off. "You're a delight, Rob. I'd actually like to meet your wife before I go."

"She comes by to help out here and there. I'm sure she'll come to the service, too, whenever it is. I'll warn you though, she's not the biggest fan of Brandon's mother."

"Is anyone?" Claire asked sincerely. "Does she have friends around here?"

He nodded. "A couple. Not as many as she used to. She turned into a bit of a shut-in after Pierce left but she's got a couple of girls that defend her tooth and nail."

"I suppose I'll meet them all at the funeral, too."

"You'll meet the whole damn town, missy." She chuckled at that, and directed her attention to her plate. She had to finish up if she wanted to make it to the attorney's office in time. She stayed up until two in the morning on facetime with her friends back home, updating them on her trip and chatting about the move she was missing. Jodi was nice enough to wrap all of Claire's trinkets in bubble wrap, and reorganized her jewelry box on camera. She missed them more than she expected.

As usual, Rob refused to accept Claire's tip. He told her that Pierce helped him out more than once over the years, and he just couldn't bring himself to accept money from her. It didn't feel right. She loved hearing someone speak fondly of Pierce.

She hopped in her car and started navigating the roads that were already familiar to her. She hadn't ventured anywhere besides the grocery store and Rob's yet, but she figured she'd see the funeral home soon, at least. She'd have to find a restaurant for a luncheon- Brandon wouldn't volunteer his house, most likely. His yard was certainly large enough to support a big group. Especially if he got a tent and some tables and chairs. She shook the idea from her head; it would never happen.