Chapter Nine

Claire

Brandon was visibly nervous to enter the restaurant, so Claire took the lead. It was a large building, built like a cabin. It was charming. As long as the food was good, it would do the trick for the luncheon, without a doubt. She was grateful for Brandon's suggestion. The parking lot was empty to the point where she wondered if the place was even open. With a glance at the clock on her phone she realized they were too late for lunch, but too early for dinner. She could use a quiet meal, anyways.

Her jabs in the car were more than just jokes. She really was wondering what came between him and his ex- but she was even more curious to see what this girl was like. What kind of people caught Brandon's attention? She pictured someone with thick black eyeliner and tattoos. Someone cool, with a devil-may-care personality. There was only one girl at the hostess stand. Claire thought, surely, she wasn't who he was referring to. But she was proven wrong when the tall, tan blond laid her eyes on Brandon and her demeanor instantly changed.

She gave him a challenging look, and then turned her attention to Claire. She extended her hand. "You must be Claire. I heard Mr. Bloomfield's passing brought you into town. I'm Ashley, nice to meet you." Claire shook her hand, but thought it best not to say anything in return. She didn't want to be too friendly, and make Brandon uncomfortable. She had to stay in his good graces or the next few weeks would be torture. "I take it you guys are here to plan a luncheon? When's the service?"

Claire gave Brandon a couple of seconds to respond, but when he didn't Claire said, "In two days. Sunday."

"Got it." Ashley said, grabbing some paperwork from behind the hostess stand. "You'll need to fill some things out for me. Would you like a table?"

"Yeah." Brandon interjected. "We're going to grab a bite while we're here." Ashley grabbed menus and motioned them towards the left side of the restaurant. Brandon guided Claire with a hand on the small of her back. Her breath caught up her throat. She could feel his warmth through her tee shirt. "Have a seat, take a look at the menu, I'll be back in a bit to take your order and," She set the forms down with a pen, "this paperwork."

Claire watched Ashley's ponytail swing between her shoulder blades as she walked away. "She is not what I was expecting." Brandon looked to Ashley, and then back towards Claire inquisitively. "I didn't realize you were into preppy chicks."

He snorted. "It's slim pickings in Earnston. There's only like three girls the same age as me and two of them are dating each other." He furrowed his eyebrows like it was the first time he realized just how little options there were for him.

"It's so weird that she already knew my name. I'm never going to get used to this place."

"Yeah, well, it's better if you don't." She felt her heart sink in her chest. Of course she didn't want to stick around for very long, but she didn't realize Brandon couldn't wait for her to leave, too. "What do you like to drink?" he asked.

"I'm a wine and cocktail girl. But I'm craving a beer today. You?"

"I have a casual beer here and there."

"You'll have to order for both of us. I don't know anything about beer."

"Two Sam Adams it is then." He tapped his fingers on the tabletop as Claire circled which sides and salads they'd have after the service.

"Do you have any dietary restrictions?" She asked.

"What's that?"

"Nevermind." She sighed.

"I'm going to run to the bathroom." Brandon slid his chair out and stood, wasting no time before leaving her to her lonesome. Ashley must have been waiting for the right moment to pounce. She showed up almost instantly.