Alternate History vs Alternate Universe

Alternate Universe vs Alternate History

Do you know the difference?

When I decided to write an article for this edition, I'm not too proud to admit I got them totally confused. Trying to research the definitions and differences, even in Wikipedia, had me only more bewildered. It didn't help that some sources claim Alternate Universe and Parallel Universe are synonymous and others say they're not, quite. Throw in Multiverses and I was ready to close my laptop and pour myself a stiff drink instead.

Then I turned to my trusty copy of Ooorah's SF Sub-Genre Definitions. Although helpful, even that repository of all sci-fi sub-genre wisdom wasn't totally illuminating.

So, time to roll up the sleeves and see if I can help make these sub-genres a little clearer.

Alternate History

Stories in which one or more historical events occur differently from how they occurred in actual history. These stories usually contain "what if" scenarios at crucial points in our history, eg the end of the Roman Empire, the assassination of Lincoln, the discovery of electricity etc, presenting an outcome of events alternative to the historical record. What if the Roman Empire had continued? What if Lincoln hadn't been assassinated? What if electricity hadn't been discovered? What would have happened then?

A good example of this sub-genre is "The Man in the High Castle," by Philip K. Dick, set in a world where Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan won WW2.

It's hard to find genuine alternate history stories on wattpad. But here's a good place to start.

Tevun Krus #18 Alternative History

Alternate Universe

Sub-Sub-Genre 1 - Alternative Reality

Science fiction and fantasy stories set in an Alternate Reality, are set in a self-contained, separate reality to our own. Though Alternate Reality tends to imply a variation on our own world. A good example of this is Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, where fictional characters can impact the real world, Russia and England are still fighting the Crimean war and travel is by dirigible. Why is this not merely Alternate History you ask? Well, because this Earth though having much in common with our own, is a whole different world. A different reality. Literary characters can come to life and time can be manipulated.

Sub-Sub-genre 2 - Parallel Universe

Almost the same as Alternate Reality except that a Parallel Universe does not have to be a version of Earth, eg CS Lewis Narnia books, and Neil Gaiman's, Coraline. Andre Norton's Witch World books.

Sub-Sub_genre 3 - Multiverse

Once again, similar to the above. I actually found several definitions of this but I like this one.

There is a theory that every time a pivotal event occurs, reality diverges, creating an alternate universe. One, in which the event occurs, and another in which it doesn't. This theory is referred to as the quantum multiverse based on an interpretation of quantum physics. It is more popularly referred to as the many-worlds theory.

A good example of this is the TV series, "Sliders" where the characters jump from one universe to another, all slightly different versions of our own, constantly seeking to find their way 'home' - the universe where the front gate squeaks.

Search Wattpad with the tag #multiverse and you will get thousands of hits.

So, Alternate Universe or Alternate History:

Any clearer? I'm not surprised! There is certainly a lot of overlap, especially in the last three Sub-Sub-genres!