bad timings, good timings

5 times Leni's girlfriend was invited by the senators but didn't show and the 1 time she did.

//

one.

It was a usual Friday night for the senators and they decided to get dinner once the session ended. As it had been every after a session, Loren watched the senators fall into smaller groups. Two or three of them huddling together to chat. She decidedt to approach the two women who were talking a little farther from the others.

Risa and Leni stood by Risa's desk as they conversed. Risa sitting on her swivel chair while Leni leaned on the desk, her arms crossed. They seemed to be engrossed in the topic. "Uy, Sen. Risa, Sen. Leni," Loren said.

"Sen. Loren, hello po." Risa greeted, facing Loren.

"Ano po 'yun?" Leni asked.

"Sama kayo sa dinner tonight. Minsan lang naman."

The two other senators exchanged a look and Risa replied. "Sorry, Sen. Loren. Hindi ako makakasama tonight kasi may family matters to take care of."

Loren's smile faltered. "Is everything okay?"

"Ay, yes. It's nothing to worry about, I just need to attend to it."

"Okay, Sen. Risa. Next time, then?"

Risa smiled and nodded. Loren then turned to Leni and asked. "How about you, Sen. Leni? Do you have other plans tonight?"

"Wala naman, Sen. Makakasama ako." Leni assured.

"Nako!" Loren laughed. "Si Risa lang pala ang hindi makakasama kung gano'n."

"Bawi na lang ako, Sen!" Risa giggled.

The three women exchanged a laugh before Loren parted ways with them, and Risa and Leni returned to their earlier conversation.

One of the things Loren admired about those two was the fact that they managed to maintain their relationship throughout the years. In fact, she couldn't even remember the time they weren't friends. Even early on in their political careers, she knew they would find common ground. They were too similar. Too "clean" in most of the senators' eyes.

The senators lively chatted with each other around the table at the private room of the restaurant. Of course, like any other workplace colleagues, they pranced around topics of their families, children, especially love lives.

One by one, Loren went around the table and asked how things are with the senators and their respective partners. Until all eyes fell on Leni. "Ito, matagal ko na gustong tanungin," Loren began.

"Sen. Leni, may someone special ka ba?"

Leni smiled. And Loren noted how that was the smile that meant confirmation. It was the kind where Leni's dimples showed and her eyes glimmered – the happy kind. But Leni being Leni shook her head and said. "Showbiz naman."

"Sen. Leni, dapat sagutin mo 'yan kasi lahat naman kami dito ay natanong about sa love life."

"Oo nga, tama!"

Leni laughed again. "Yes, meron."

Now, everyone, especially Loren, was intrigued. "Sino ang lucky man na THE Leni Gerona is dating?"

"Woman," Leni corrected as she sipped from her glass.

One senator sputtered, another stopped midway of putting food in their mouth, and the rest held their breaths with their mouths agape.

"Woman?" Loren asked, both shocked and all the more intrigued.

"Yes, woman. May girlfriend ako."

The revelation took everyone in surprise. How on earth could they not have known Leni was dating a woman all this time? And they've worked with her for years already.