Chapter 19

Chapter 19: The fall.

The fall carried on forever, anticipating the dreadful feeling of my skull cracking open on the cement. I can see my regret plastered on my face despite never having a mirror to glance at my reflection. This is not the same beautiful, peaceful death that Maxwell had. This one was slow, fast, and shameful. The weight of opening my eyes and not seeing anyone mourn my fall is taunting me. And even though no one stands upon the ledge crying out for me in vain, I still stretch out my arms in hopes of being caught. The fall is long and yet short-lived as I feel the presence of the concrete floor approaching nearer. All the life in me has been drained as my lifeless body flees through the air in defeat. Just before reaching the ground, it was like someone had skipped forward these events as a sudden, "No!" echoed throughout my ear as the gravity pulling me down sped up to the moment of my spine shattering like glass startling me awake. Breathing heavily, I look around to see only bright lights and hear consistent beeping as Jo hushes me to lay back down, "You're okay. You're okay, stop fighting." She reassures me as I take a deep breath before attempting to speak, "We caught you in a net just in time but you fell pretty hard." She explains suddenly causing my conscious to be aware of the splintering pain I'm in. Jo stays silent, she looks as though she's on the verge of tears before she speaks again, "You've been unconscious for a couple of days. It might take some time to learn how to walk again," she nods while staring at me almost as if it were out of pity. She sniffs once before wiping away her tears and walking off, "I'll go tell them you're awake." I don't know who them was, but I couldn't care less, for as soon as Jo left, I began to cry in a mix of gratitude, sadness, and fear. Gratitude for I didn't die yet fear because I lived.