Challenge #16 Write and Study

-Topic: Headaches

First off, let's name the types of headaches. Depending on your research, there are usually 10 to 14 types of headaches.

1) Tension 2) Cluster 3) Migraine 4) Hemicrania Continua 5) Ice Pick 6) Thunderclap        7) Allergy or sinus 8) Hormone (or menstrual) 9) Caffeine 10) Exertion 11) Hypertension 12) Rebound 13) Post-traumatic 14) Spinal 

These are found in source 1. It should be warned that any additional symptoms besides a headache should seek medical care (1).

-Stiff Neck 

-Rash

-The Worst headache you ever had

-Vomiting

-Confusion

-Slurred Speech

-Fever of 100.4 F (38 C) or Higher

-Paralysis

-Visual loss

The first six headaches are considered Primary Headaches.

1) Tension Headache

This type of headache is an aching or feeling a dull sensation all over your head. Sensitivity around the forehead, scalp, neck, and shoulders can occur. Stress can be a trigger (1).

Other triggers can be dehydration, loud noise, lack of exercise, posture, insufficient quality of sleep, skipped meals, and eyestrains (2).

-Note: For me, sleeping or exercising can help with Tension Headaches.

2) Cluster Headache

Burning and piercing pain that occurs behind one eye or one side of the face. There can be swelling, redness, flushing, sweating, as well as eye tearing, and nasal congestion. It is unknown for the triggers of these headaches (1).

Symptoms can be watering eyes, blocked or runny nose, swollen eyelid, restlessness or agitation, and sensitivity to light/sound (2).

 3) Migraine 

Pulsing pain deep within your head. These episodes may last between 4 to 72 hours and can limit your ability to carry out your routine. Symptoms included; throbbing pain, sound/light sensitivity, nausea, and vomiting. There are triggers such as sleep disruption, skipped meals, some foods, dehydration, hormone fluctuation, and exposure to chemicals (1).

4) Hemicrania Continua 

This is a type of headache that occurs on one side of your head and generally lasts for three months. Symptoms include; tearing or redness of the eye, eyelid drooping, forehead sweating, nasal congestion or runny nose, restlessness or agitation, and miosis or excessive shrinking of the pupil (1).

5) Ice Pick Headache

Short, intense stabbing pains that last a few seconds. They are also called Primary Stabbing headaches. They only appear a few times a day but without warning. They are generally random about where they hurt but if it's constantly in the same spot then it might be a bigger issue (1).

 6) Thunderclap Headache 

It is a type of headache that occurs at random but in a severe, intense pain that comes on rapidly and occurs the most painful pain in less than a minute. Thunderclap headache could be a sign of more a serious condition; Blood vessel tears, ruptures, or even a blockage, could be a stroke, brain injury, vasculitis, reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome, or pituitary apoplexy. It is highly recommended that the first time you experience this type of headache you seek medical attention (1).

The next set of headaches is considered secondary headaches.

7) Allergy or sinus Headache

Caused by allergic reactions the focus of the pain is on the sinus areas and front of your head. Sometimes migraines are misdiagnosed as Allergy headaches (1).

Possible symptoms are facial pain or pressure, nasal discharge, fever, blocked nose, reduced sense of smell, fatigue, ear pain, cough, bad breath, dental pain, and a general feeling of being unwell. There is also a dull, throbbing ache around the cheeks, forehead, and eyes (2).

-Note: These might occur during a season, such as winter or spring, depending on the allergy. I am also guessing, that seasonal colds can full into these types of headaches as the symptoms (at least for me) are very similar.

8) Hormone (or menstrual) Headache

Headaches are caused by hormonal changes. Menstruation, pregnancy, and birth control can all affect estradiol, which can cause a headache. And for all the females out there, will know the pain involving the stomach, below the stomach, the head, and legs/feet that period can give us (1).

9) Exertion Headache 

Occurs quickly after a period of intense physical activity. These do not last too long but can last for several hours or even a few minutes (1).

The triggers can be running, jumping, sexual intercourse, bouts of coughing or sneezing, and weightlifting. Also sometimes these headaches can last up to two days and is more common with family history of migraines (2).

-Note: Eat after exercising, not before because a hunger headache is made worse by exercise if not given food right after. I experienced this before and never made that mistake again. I always eat after never before.

10) Hypertension Headache

High blood pressure can cause a headache. This is usually a signal to your brain and body that something is very wrong and medical treatment should be done. If you experiencing this type of headache with any of these symptoms call 911; Changes in vision, nosebleeds, chest pain, shortness of breath, and numbness or tingling (1)

 11) Rebound Headache 

Also called Medication overuse headaches can feel like a dull, tension headache that can become worse. Caffeine can also be associated with these headaches (1).

-Note: Vitamin headaches do exist. Trust me on this.

12) Post-traumatic Headache

Can develop after a head injury and can last up to 6 to 12 months. They can become chronic (1).

 13) Spinal Headache

Results from low cerebrospinal fluid pressure that occurs after lumbar puncture. Areas of the headache could occur are; the forehead, temples, upper head, and back of the head. The symptoms occur 2 to 3 days after lumbar puncture. However, it is about 10 to 40% of that occurring. Symptoms include; nausea, dizziness, neck pain, visual changes, tinnitus or ringing in the ear, radiating pain in the arms, and hearing loss.

Seek the website 1 for possible pain relievers regarding headaches. 

Cites

1) https://www.healthline.com/health/headache/types-of-headaches

2) https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320767