Chapter 0

~What He Did Not Know~

"Kaori-san, are you coming with us later?"

Hosshin-senpai, my senior in the web development department, tapped my back as he said this. "Sorry, senpai. I'll pass for tonight. I'm meeting someone after we finished today's script adjustments." I tried to refuse as politely as I can. Surely, they'll let me off easier this time.

"Oho? That's a first one. I have never heard that excuse from you before."

He smiled while saying this, as if implying something.

"No, I didn't mean it as an excuse just to--"

"It's fine. It's fine. I understand completely."

"Really, if it's some other time."

"So, who's the lucky guy, huh? Be sure to introduce him to us over drinks sometime." My mechanical keyboard clucked louder than usual upon hearing this.

"It seems I was spot on."

He smiled again. I really hate that smile.

"He's not like that. He's just an old friend of mine. We'll just talk and catch up on things." "Old friend, it is."

"And we'll part ways again afterwards and go on with our lives."

My concentration is halved with me thinking of ways to come up with optimizing the current state of our anti-DDOS program and evading my senior's persistent interrogation of my personal life.

Suddenly, my smartphone lit up.

"Seems like a message from your old friend. Well, I gotta go now. You guys enjoy later! Be sure to send me a copy of your patch before you go!"

"Yes. Yes. I will."

And thank you very much for teasing me again.

When I ensured that Hosshin-senpai is out of sight, I unlocked my phone and read the message.

[From ---

Subject: Thank you

Thanks for giving me a chance. I will make it up to you. I promise. ]

I felt a lump on my throat and swallowed nothing.

How many years has it been since he's gone in my life?

Suddenly contacting me with a message like "I have something to talk about. Let's meet somewhere." When I said, "Okay.", I was thinking that he will finally show me how he is in life.

Like, how he's a father of two cute kids now.

With a great position in a big company.

How he did achieve fortune, a nice family and happiness in life.

Things he must've determined I could not give him.

When he decided to end our relationship over those big dreams of his.

So, this time he will show them to me, huh? Then we will finally come to a conclusion. We'll both learn to be happy with our choices and that's it.

That's what I initially thought.

I hesitated at first.

When I mustered my courage to face and accept how he is indeed have been successful without me, he confessed.

Turns out he has nothing of those things.

No kids.

No job.