19 | HIDDEN LAYERS

TOM AND EVELYNN FIND AN EMPTY COMPARTEMENT, and Tom has them sit so she's in the corner, and he's right next to her. Evelynn shifts slightly and says, "Tom, relax. Nobody will be stupid enough to try anything, considering we can technically use our wands the second we're on the train." She discretely slides one hand behind his back, starts rubbing circles into his tense shoulders for good measure, and then pretends not to notice when he silently leans into her hand. Merlin, when did she start caring about him like this?! What the hell happened to not letting anyone close to her?! To her fresh start and not trusting anyone like she did last time?!

It's just because we're so alike, that's all. And the Orphanage, that too. I'm older and want to help him a little...

It's all falling flat in her head, even as she thinks it.

After a minute, Tom says, "I'm not going to relax until we're back in the Common Room, Evelynn. I never do."

Before she can respond, though, Theodorus Nott's voice calls out, "In here, guys! Tom, good to see you!"

The rest of the group piles in, Theodorus and Orion exchanging looks at the sight of the two as Evelynn slides her hand out from behind Tom's back, and they get arranged. There's an awkward silence for a minute, everyone but Tom and Evelynn wondering why Tom is so close to her when he won't let anyone else touch him, but Evelynn asks, "So, how was everyone else's summer? It must've been more interesting than ours."

The tension in the room deflates, and Theodorus moves the conversation onto what classes everyone's taking. Everyone's taking Runes and Arithmancy, as all the Heirs are expected to learn useful subjects. Nobody's surprised when Tom has thirteen subjects, including the core classes. The guy's a certifiable genius, and everyone knows it.

Then, Orion asks, "What about you, Evelynn?"

She glances away from the window, watching the scenery, and blinks as if the question just registered. He asked her, "Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, Healing, Ancient Studies, Magical Theory, and Music."

Everyone except Tom stares at her, and Abraxas asks, "Why Music? It's not useful for anything, after all."

Evelynn looked out the window again and said, "Something to do. Besides, I like music."

Orion raises an eyebrow and asks, "A hobby, then?" It is not a traditional one, but then again, this is Evelynn. She looks at tradition and how a lady is expected to act and laughs before punching someone in the face for expecting her to be all meek and submissive.

Evelynn briefly gives him a smile that seems fragile before it settles into something flat and cold and says, "Something like that, yeah. Better than moping." And nobody knows just what to say to that, even with Evelynn staring out the window once more. And then she starts humming the Hogwarts Song under her breath, much to everyone's surprise - because where would she have heard it before? After all, she arrived at Hogwarts well after the Sorting Ceremony - maybe someone taught it to her.

A few hours later, with everyone still waiting for the Trolley lady to come by, Evelynn breaks her silence by grumbling, "That woman's never getting here." She takes her trunk out of her pocket, enlarges it... and pulls out a box, asking, "Anyone else? There's ten left."

Tom reaches in without hesitation, coming out with one of his own. And then, to everyone's surprise, he doesn't question her about what's in it - he just opens it up and starts eating the sandwich he takes out. Something that speaks a shelf of volumes - since when does Tom trust anyone enough just to start eating something without question?!

Antonin Dolohov incredulously asks, "Where did you get those?! And when? Also, why?!"

Evelynn and Tom trade looks, Evelynn asking, 'Just how big of an idiot is this one?' and Tom saying, 'Just answer them, Evelynn.' After a minute, Evelynn rolled her eyes and said, "Made the boxes last year. As for why...Muggle war, food rationing..." She trails off, letting everyone else put the pieces together - not that hard.