23 | DIAGON DEALINGS

TOM ALMOST RETCHES as he and Evelynn appear in Diagon Alley early in the morning. He's certain that the feeling is not improving. Thankfully, Evelynn has them cloaked, so nobody notices him as he tries not to throw up. She has one hand on his shoulder and the other rubbing circles on his back. "Easy, Tom, breathe through your nose..."

He nods, attempting to suppress his nausea with sheer willpower, an effort that yields mixed results. He hasn't vomited yet, but his stomach resists settling down. The long journey from the Hogwarts dungeons to this dim back alley in Diagon only exacerbates the situation.

"Alright, it's a good thing I brought these. Nausea Potion."

She handed it to him, and he briefly verified that it was indeed a Nausea Potion before uncorking it and downing it in one go. He truly adores Potions. The inventor of this branch of magic certainly deserves an Order of Merlin and a First Class one at that.

After the potion takes effect swiftly, he manages to dispel the sensation of shadows clinging to his skin like oil. They both straighten up and proceed to Gringotts. Fortunately, there's no one around - naturally, arriving at four in the morning tends to ensure that.

Yet again, the goblins panic and hustle them into Director Ragnuk's office. His expression, once more, is priceless, as though he's silently imploring the universe, 'Why me?!'

Opening an account for Tom takes about ten minutes, especially when Ragnuk spots the Basilisk Skin in Tom's suitcase. He's practically drooling at the sight. They spend an hour haggling over the fee Gringotts will receive from selling the Basilisk Skin, eventually deciding on 5% of the profits. Through this, Evelynn witnesses why Tom excelled at Borgin and Burkes and his knack for purchasing items inexpensively.

A young Griphook is assigned to manage their accounts and the sale of the Basilisk skin. This leaves Evelynn stunned, as she remembers Griphook as the Goblin who first guided her to her Vault and helped her procure the Cup. Despite his later betrayal, he was instrumental in acquiring the Cup. Now, unknowingly, he is managing their accounts, stirring memories of their past interactions with Evelynn.

She is jolted from her thoughts by Tom elbowing her in the side, leading her out of her seat. Once they're out of the office, with Griphook carrying the briefcase filled with priceless artefacts, she murmurs, "Are we done here?"

Tom nods, tilting his head slightly as he asks, "Yeah. Did you space out again?"

Evelynn glances at Griphook's retreating back and quietly says, "Griphook... I knew him. He's the Goblin who first took me to my vault. He also helped us get the Cup. I didn't expect him to be alive."

Tom blinks, glancing back at the Goblin himself, then says, "Oh. That... would be surprising."

Evelynn nods, then says, "Let's get back to your dorm, then. Most everyone should be just waking up." So there shouldn't be any questions about where they've been - getting up at the crack of dawn, while exhausting, does have its advantages at times.

They return to the dorm without incident. Evelynn hands Tom the other Nausea Potion, and then she heads to her own room.

⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

Later that afternoon, Tom and his friends were conversing while Evelynn intermittently contributed, engrossed in her book. Theodorus remarked, "We've only got two significant areas in the British Isles. Diagon Alley, with everything in it, and Hogwarts with Hogsmeade. Everything else is hidden in plain sight. We have some mixed communities, like Godric's Hollow, but magic can't be used where Muggles might see it."