the deal. - part three

Word count: 12,756
________________

"Claire?" Harry softly asked, waiting outside the door she locked herself into.

His eyes softly closed, forehead resting against the wood as he heard retching and vomiting from the other side. Harry wore a dress shirt and slacks, dressing up for court even if he wasn't being heard or if the judge would hardly look at him.

But he wanted to be here for Claire, even if she insisted she was fine coming on her own.

Seeing her rush into the restrooms before the hearing even started, was enough proof to Harry that she was most definitely not fine.

"Babe?" He checked again, breathing out the word in defeat as there was silence from the other end. He heard her slightly coughing and then he heard the flushing of the toilet before Claire unlocked the door, wiping her eyes and straightening out her blouse.

Her eyes were rimmed red and the bags underneath them seemed to have darkened a shade. She fixed the clip in her hair while sniffling, "Sorry." She muttered, walking past Harry and towards the sinks to wash her hands and rinse her mouth a bit.

Harry looked at her through the mirror as he slipped a gentle hand to her lower back, "'S okay. You don't have to apologize."

Even Atlas and Finn had noticed this morning, that something was up. Tensions in the house were at an all time high any time Claire was supposed to head to court and face Evan. It wasn't the first time, but him and his lawyer always found ways to postpone or buy themselves time.

And in the meantime, Claire and Evan had to stick to what the court told them - which was that Atlas spent at least six hours at his father's house every other Saturday. Claire always dreaded dropping him off but insisted walking him up to the door. Evan never looked good. He always had a sick, smug smile on his lips. He wasn't doing this for Atlas, he was just doing it to get a rise out of her.

She remembered crying in Harry's car the last time because once Claire had hugged Atlas goodbye and he went inside, Evan said to her that he'd do everything he could to stay in control of her life before slamming the door.

After a good cry, it was time to convince Harry to not go knocking on his door and then punch his teeth out. But Harry's hands had tightly gripped the steering wheel as they drove home in silence, and both him and Claire weren't themselves in those six hours.

Evenings were then spent with Atlas cuddling up to both of them, even Finn. He regressed to being a little baby on those days, sucking his thumb and needing a soft scalp massage before he requested for Harry to carry him to bed and then Harry and Claire both tucked him in.

He usually had nightmares those nights, but not as bad as the nights before he was supposed to be at Evan's. Atlas never said much about the time spent at his father's house, and Claire and Harry didn't pry.

And so months went on, and here she was again. With fresh hope that the judge would make a conscious decision to cut ties between Atlas and his father. That they could finally see the effect it had on Atlas and that Evan didn't give a single fuck about his son.

"I love you." Harry murmured from behind her, finally pulling Claire into his chest and she allowed him. Claire exhaled into his neck, pinching her eyes shut to keep more tears from falling out. Harry's arms felt like a warm blanket surrounding her, and she was catapulted into memories of comfort and warmth as she leaned against him. And she let herself lean against him - which was almost the biggest challenge of all.

"I love y-you too." She croaked out, sniffling. Harry kissed her temple, "And I'm so proud of you. Atlas will remember this forever, the way you fought for him. I promise."