1. A Saviour

Sombrely, the cities and counties of England filed through the double wrought-iron doors, taking their seats in the rings of benches that wound their way around the Monarchy's vast courtroom, with the scholars and nobles seated at the very front, their seats adorned with velvet pillows and accompanied by champagne glasses, and the staff and servants seated on the very back benches, with nothing but cold, hard wood scraping against their already bruised backs.

"Ladies and gentleman," The English Monarchy purred smugly, straightening the Crown Jewels that rested upon his grimly gleeful head. "We are gathered here for a so far unprecedented occasion. What you are about to witness is justice being brought to your fair nation right before your very eyes: the capital punishment of someone that can only be described as a vandalous traitor, a malevolent serpent among men..."

His taunting preaching stretched on for what felt like hours, until finally he called out to London, who emotionlessly stepped onto the vast stage, dragging behind her a heavily chained-up Northamptonshire, who also showed little to no emotion other than a spark of fierce stubbornness behind her sapphire and emerald eyes.

"You know why you're here, traitor?" Monarchy spat as London dragged her into the stage's centre and threw her to the ground with an almighty blow to the stomach.

"Obviously," Northants scoffed, shooting her nation a venomous glare and blowing her fiery hair away from her eyes.

"You deny that you went against my orders and attempted to stage an uprising?"

"No."

"You deny that you vandalised the Kings property in order to break into and reclaim estates owned by the crown?"

"No."

"Why, you have no shame, peasant!" The Monarchy gasped sarcastically, smiling sadistically at the stunned audience.

"Call me what you want, but I'm no coward... In stark contrast to the likes of you." Northamptonshire shot back, gritting her teeth and scowling fiercely at her unfazed captor.

"Do you really wish to spend your final moments picking fights?"

"Do you really wish to spend your entire life inflicting pain and suffering upon those of us that actually care for our people?"

"In the name of erasing terrorists like yourself from these blessed isles, yes," the Monarchy sneered, turning once again to the cities and counties that were sat in awe before him, "Now my dear citizens, on with the show?"

"Now, now!" someone called out from the onlooking crowd, "Let's not be hasty!"

"You wish to object, Cambridge?" the Monarchy asked, glancing curiously across to the scholar, who had now risen to his feet and taken his place beside the three already on stage.

"Not to object Your Majesty, but simply to offer a different outlook on events." Cambridge smiled, remaining as calm as one would be while reading a mildly entertaining novel or while awaiting sleep while cuddled up in bed.

"Go ahead."

"You see Sir - with as much respect as possible to our questionably-behaved companion - of us cities and counties, I am certainly very close to being the eldest... And yet only last week was my eighteenth birthday despite that. I'd imagine Miss Northamptonshire is a little younger than myself too?"

"I'm sixteen," Northamptonshire answered begrudgingly, gazing upwards to meet Cambridges ocean-blue eyes, which sparkled with an intelligent mysteriousness beyond what she could fathom.

"Teenagers are emotional creatures, and impulsive at that," Cambridge explained to the Monarchy, still the very definition of calm and collected, "Besides, at the end of they day, you have the same end goal in mind: the happiness of the citizens of England. Perhaps Northamptonshire is not a traitor, but an ambitious young woman with passions that arose from a love for her people, rather than a hatred for your authority?"

"You believe so?" The Monarchy asked, raising a sceptical eyebrow at him, "Well I trust your judgement, Cambridge... But what do you suggest?"

"I suggest you allow me to educate her," he smiled, "Give me a few years, I can resolve this conflict I believe...

Sighing, the Monarchy considered this for a moment, before nodding, "I suppose I dont see why not... However, if either of you dare rebel against me within that timeframe, you shall both spend a lifetime in prison!"

"Of course, Your Majesty!" Cambridge nodded, bowing and wrapping his hand around Northamptonshires wrist, pulling her out of the court with as much grace as someone can pull a chained-up maid by the wrist out of an overly large medieval courtroom.