Prologue

OHMYGOD

© Producer:陳楚燁 (JUICE)

© Sample Producer:盛家銘 (l1lute)

© Audio Engineer:Theo France-Haggins (Park West)

This work is based on a true story and adapted accordingly.

The incidents, characters, locations, and timeframes involved have been artistically reshaped. This work does not aim to precisely recreate actual events. The author and the publisher are not responsible for any misunderstandings or disputes.

February 9, 2024, Chinese New Year's Eve, on the streets of New Haven, Connecticut, USA

February 9, 2024, Chinese New Year's Eve, on the streets of New Haven, Connecticut, USA.The setting sun faded beneath the biting cold wind, the bare trees laden with layers of crows.

Although it was the Lunar New Year's Eve, there was little festive atmosphere at Yale, where students hurried about their business. 

At the School of Art, a young Asian man hurriedly crossed the street, making his way to the student dorms. Wearing a beanie,an orange hoodie and exaggeratedly large sneakers, he stood out in the gray, solemn atmosphere of the campus.He swiped his card, pushed open the back door of the dorm, and rushed into the elevator. 

The "ding" of the sixth floor announced his arrival. 

At his dorm door, a sizable package awaited. 

"I haven't ordered anything recently, what's this big shxt?" he thought, kicking the package into his room,carelessly tossing his bag aside and squinting at the delivery slip.

The sender's address was a string of indecipherable code, but it was clearly shipped from China, scrawled with a hasty "Happy New Year." 

He sliced open the tape, revealing a pile of old notebooks and a variety of items—a bright red key, a broken bracelet, and other seemingly random things. Buried at the bottom was an unadorned letter with terribly, ugly, barely legible handwriting:

"To the powerless mortal, Chen Daolin,

I heard you've finally decided to write our story into a novel. It's been almost eight years, right? I'm clearing out these items anyway, so take them as materials for your novel. And hey, make me look cool, and don't focus too much on yourself. 

From, the mighty New God with power in hand, Sheng Huan"

Chuckling, he crumpled the letter, tossing it into the trash. He muttered, "Well, at least they know where I live. Let's start writing then!" He opened his laptop, created a new document, and began.

"This is a story about new gods.It started in a human high school and a god's academy.

The protagonists weren't campus idols, but students entangled in life-and-death affairs. 

In this era of gods clashing, these teenagers, who should've been enjoying high school life, were instead thrust into a vortex of separation, betrayal, and isolation. Their powers didn't grant them omnipotence but exposed them to the dark secrets behind their families, the fragility of life, the overwhelming grip of power, and the injustice of inheriting their parents' debts. 

Fortunately, the ending isn't too bad."

Struggling with the narrative, he paused, unsure of where to begin. 

As he was about to close his laptop, a page from the delivery box caught his eye. 

It was a report from the Qing Dynasty, about 300 years ago:

"Respectfully submitted to His Majesty,

In the tenth year of Emperor Yongzheng, on the first night of the year, a terrifying spectacle unfolded in Jiading County, Jiangsu Province.

At dusk, a horrifying chase erupted through the streets. Both the pursuer and the pursued exhibited supernatural abilities, leaping over roofs and walls, wielding fire and darkness. The darkness was as black as ink, yet shining, and there were apparitions of a colossal beast resembling a three-headed dog with white frost-like fur, as imposing as a mountain.

The pursued, a bare-chested man wearing an official's crown, maneuvered black flames amidst peril, striking fear into hearts. Leading the pursuers, a boy with white hair dressed in snow-white clothes and a woman in black with fiery red eyes, moved from the city's taverns to its outskirts with arrow-like speed and thunderous destruction.

By divine grace, the common people remained unharmed, but the damage to properties was beyond measure. It is suspected to be the work of sorcery, and we beseech His Majesty to authorize a thorough investigation.

Submitted by, your respectful servant"

Excited, he thought, "This is where I'll start!"