Prelude - Starfall

In January 1732, on the eve of the Lunar New Year, in a small, inconspicuous fishing town in Jiading County, Jiangsu Province, China, the atmosphere was exceptionally lively. The streets were bustling, with a notably higher number of women and children dressed in bright cheongsams compared to men in long robes and mandarin jackets. It was a rare occasion when families who usually stayed indoors took the opportunity to stroll around and celebrate the festival.

As the evening lights began to glow, the festive mood intensified. The taverns along the river were brightly lit, and the area adorned with colorful lanterns marked the site of a temple fair. Navigating through the crisscrossed stalls and the slightly crowded troupe of street performers, a group of children in red cotton robes were seen haggling with a lean firecracker vendor. Amidst their heated bargaining, the vendor, noticing the distant commotion, quickly stuffed the firecrackers into the children's bags, exclaiming, "Take this bargain and go! The County Magistrate is coming for his patrol!"

The magistrate, distinguished by his noticeable white braid and an official hat resembling a plumed, conical hat, dressed in a dark official robe with a sword at his waist. He was accompanied by just three guards. His unassuming demeanor and gentle gaze made him appear like any ordinary citizen leisurely wandering about, occasionally picking up trinkets from the stalls. His tall guards, though imposing, were surprisingly approachable, even greeting passersby. Upon entering the tavern, the quick-footed server bowed respectfully, "Magistrate, your visit honors our humble establishment." Hearing this, the tavern owner promptly appeared, bowing deeply, "My Lord, please forgive our modest hospitality." He then led the magistrate to a prime table by the window, pouring him a cup of fine rice wine, while recommending seasonal specialties like Osmanthus Sugar Lotus Root and Braised Chicken with Pine Nuts. The server had already provided each guard with a bottle of top-quality Shaoxing rice wine.

The tavern's wooden walls were sturdy, the ceiling densely hung with red lanterns, larger ones specially prepared for the Spring Festival, adorned with characters like Fortune and Longevity. The old-fashioned oil lamps inside the lanterns emitted a bright yet soft glow that created a cozy ambiance. The aroma of rice wine mixed with the scent of fried fish and stir-fried dishes filled the air, along with a hint of agarwood, presumably burnt to mask any unpleasant odors.

The magistrate settled into an exquisite armchair. His presence in such a small tavern was not an everyday occurrence. His arrival brought honor to the establishment but also a subtle sense of pressure, as everyone felt obliged to show utmost respect and courtesy due to his official status. "No need for formalities," he assured, "Tonight is New Year's Eve. I'm just passing by for a cup of warm wine. Please, continue with your festivities." He then bowed to the patrons with a smile, wishing, "Happy New Year, may peace and prosperity be with you all."

Reassured by the magistrate's words, the tavern's atmosphere relaxed. The noise of dice, coins, toasting, and laughter, coupled with the sound of fireworks outside, quickly revived the lively festive spirit. He warmed himself by the fire, sipping his hot wine, and gazed through the mahogany window frames at the orange-red lanterns and the gently falling snowflakes.

"Found him, a tavern in the city," a woman's voice emerged near a moat on the outskirts of the city.

Near the railing on a serpentine gallery bridge above the riverbank, two figures, one clad in black,the other in white stood. The woman who spoke wore a loose black cheongsam and appeared to be in her early twenties. With her small round nose, thin lips, and a makeup-free face of striking beauty, her sharp eyes and flowing black hair in the cold wind resembled a mysterious black crow. In this era, it was rare to see a woman with her hair down, but even more unusual was the bright crimson flame burning at her fingertips, her eyes a fiery red. Behind her stood an even more peculiar child: white hair tied in cornrow braids, dressed in white clothes, wearing white tiger-head shoes. His skin,pale as porcelain, resembling a haunting porcelain doll against the night sky. The pair, one in black and one in white, resembled grim reapers. As soon as the woman finished speaking, the child, without a word, extinguished the flame in her hand and leapt forward.