23

The Christmas spirit at Hogwarts had been dampened this year with the presence of Delores Umbridge looming over them

The Christmas spirit at Hogwarts had been dampened this year with the presence of Delores Umbridge looming over them. The witch had attempted to boot Professor Trelawney from the school grounds and much to Umbridge's dismay and the satisfaction of Maggie, Dumbledore had hired a centaur by the name of Firenze.

It was a bitterly cold December night and Maggie found herself sitting in Fred's bed, restless and unable to sleep. Despite the wizard's loud snoring next to her, the witch couldn't shake off the nagging feeling in her gut that something terrible was about to happen. Her unease only intensified when the door burst open to reveal a frantic Professor McGonagall, who had clearly been rushing around.

"Professor?" Maggie frowns. "Is everything alright?"

"Miss McKinnon, you must go and collect Mr Malfoy," The Professor says. "Your return to Grimmauld Place is happening tonight, the password is 'Pureblood'. The situation will be explained when you get to the headmaster's office"

Maggie nods as she hastily puts on her trainers and a jumper. She sets off towards the dungeons, her footsteps echoing through the empty corridors as she quickens her pace. Her heart races, thumping against her rib cage with increasing intensity.

"Pureblood," Maggie whispers and the door creaks open.

Maggie rushes through the deserted Slytherin Common Room, her footsteps echoing against the cold stone walls. She quickly ascends the staircase leading to the boys' dormitories, her eyes darting from door to door in search of the right one. Finally, she spots a polished plaque that bears the names D. Malfoy, B. Zabini and T. Nott.

Maggie gently pushes the creaky door open, her heart racing with anticipation. She spots a sleeping Draco in the corner, softly snoring away. She tiptoes towards him and crouches down, careful not to make any noise.

Without hesitation, she shakes the boy awake, his eyes flying open in alarm. Before he can say anything, Maggie's hand swiftly clamps over his mouth, her finger coming to her lips. After a moment, Draco nods in understanding and Maggie slowly removes her hand.

"What's going on?"

"I don't know but McGonagall says we need to go now," Maggie whispers and Draco nods, grabbing his trunk.

"I've had it packed for a while,"

Maggie and Draco quickly and quietly make their way through the silent corridors of Hogwarts, avoiding any encounters with other students or teachers. The tension in the air is palpable as they navigate through the darkened castle.

As they reach the entrance hall, Maggie notices the flickering light of torches casting eerie shadows on the walls. The castle feels unusually still, as if holding its breath in anticipation. They arrive at the gargoyle guarding the entrance to Dumbledore's office, standing just in front of it.

"Password?" the gargoyle asks.

"Shit!" Maggie hisses.

At the sound of Maggie's voice, the stone floor beneath their feet starts shifting and moving causing them to stumble slightly, a set of stairs carries them up to the door of the headmaster's office.