Night 15

“CHEERS!” A JOYOUS CLAMOUR ECHOED through the vibrant gay bar, blending with the pulsating beats of the music. Zon, Saifah, Zen and Nathee raised their glasses, the sharp clink followed by exasperated groans—Nathee spilled his drink all over the table. Quick to react, Zen pulled a handkerchief from his pocket, while Zon licked the sweet liquid off his own hand.

“Anywho,” unfazed, Zon raised his glass again, “congrats to Saifah for securing a new position!” This time, he made sure to not make contact with other glasses. As the congratulations burst from their friends, Zon looked to his right and mouthed a silent, “I’m proud of you.”

He was well aware of how much nerve it had cost Saifah to apply; the countless calls, tests, nerve-racking interviews, and the tedious waiting in-between. Zon hoped that now, with this new opportunity, Saifah would stop hating his job and get a much better situation.

With a tender smile, Zon grazed Saifah’s thigh. He deserved nothing but the best.

“So, what will you do in the new place?" Zen asked as he put his hand sanitizer back in his pocket

“It’s not a major change,” said Saifah. “It’s still a banking company, but I won't have to deal with clients. Even if the company sucks—as it probably does—the Team Leader seems so much better than that fuckin’ asshole of a boss I have now.”

He let out a frustrated groan, on which Nathee clicked his tongue. “Well then,” he sighed, fiddling with his pearls. “Fingers crossed to no micromanagement!”

“No to micromanagement!” laughed Saifah. They seemed to bond over their shared experience of a bad work environment, something that Zon and Zen silently acknowledged with quick glances. They couldn't relate.

But as the drinks flowed, so did their conversation, and the topics changed without a hitch. Soon, Nathee showed off his perfectly painted nails, while Zen badgered Zon about his unfinished draft. It wasn't until a few more sips of his peach daiquiri and Saifah's intervention that Zen finally stopped his persistent nagging.

“Okay, no more work-talk.”

“Great.”

“Can we focus back on my fab nails, please?” Nathee chimed in, waving his glittering nails under the lights. “I didn't spend a fortune for nothing. Thank you .”

His exaggerated scowl grabbed their attention, and as Zon reclined in his chair, he realised how incredibly lucky he was with such friends. Whether it was the alcohol or his guard being taken down, it was effortless for Zon to be his truest self with all three of them. He leaned on his hand, their voices turned into an inaudible melody. Sometimes, being part of the group without actively participating was what Zon enjoyed the most. He was able to adjust, to see everything in sharper light, and read the mood better. His eyes glazed from Zen to Nathee, and then to Saifah, his heart skipping a beat.

It was hard to believe that just a few months before they were all at the same bar to watch Nathee's show. It felt like a lifetime ago! A lifetime, during which Zon was ready to play wingman for Saifah, eager to push him into someone else's arms, only to realise his feelings the following day. Would he have come to the same conclusion if Saifah hadn’t had followed him home that night? If Saifah had gone home alone? Or worse, slept with someone else like Zon had suggested? Zon narrowed his eyes in contemplation, watching Saifah’s profile. Perhaps, even if not on that very day, the truth would’ve struck him soon after. After all, the feelings were already there.

He blinked out of his thoughts as something prodded his leg. Looking down, he noticed Saifah's knee against his own. It wasn't on purpose, Zon knew that, but it did feel natural. With his eyes set on the drink in his hand, a smile formed on his lips as he slid his foot between Saifah's. At first, although barely noticeable, Saifah's mouth twitched and his eyelashes fluttered, but he soon regained composure as he relaxed into the touch. Their calves brushed in a gentle whisper of a secret, his leg pressed onto Zon's, the warmth spreading up.