Chapter 03 - "Hey, isn't this easy?"

MIA

"So, can I call Helen?" Luke's face was reddening. I didn't try to hide a smile.

"Dude, you're so into her, it's pathetic" I said and he pulled me gently. "She was my friend before you even met her! Of course she can come"

"Thanks" he says softly. We were together in my apartment, getting ready to go bowling. Jack left earlier to meet with Grace before the dinner. "I'm gonna pick her up, she's at uni" he basically ran to the door. "Bye"

"He's such an idiot when he's liking someone" Quinn pointed out. He was sitting at the kitchen table, drinking some orange juice.

"I think it's quite endearing" I say as I sit in front of him. We are now waiting for Jack to take us. "I look way more pathetic" I giggled.

"No, you don't" his tone got serious. I stopped smiling, feeling my cheeks warming up just a bit. "You never looked pathetic in your life"

"Well, I remember that party where Astrid publicly humiliated me" my voice became a whisper as I talked. "It was miserable"

"She looked pathetic," he said firmly. "Everybody moved on pretty quickly from that"

"Not me" I realized too late what I said and he blushed. "I mean, about the whole situation! Not that I still like you!"

"Ouch" he put his hands over his chest and I felt even more embarrassed.

"You get it–"

"I do, don't worry" he grabbed my hand and smiled. But he looked kinda sad. "I know this is not the time to say this but I feel like I owe you"

"You don–"

"No, I do" he said calmly. "I didn't say anything at the time because I was secretly dating a girl, you know"

"Joan, yeah. She was really cool" I remembered the ginger girl. She was very sweet and polite. They dated for a couple of months before she broke up with him.

"And you distanced yourself from me after that night" his voice was sad. "And because I used to like you too" he looked me in the eyes and I felt my heart pounding. "I mean, I liked before that happened but I had a responsibility, you know? Being the older one in our gang and all, I had to keep in mind that something like that could ruin our whole friendship if it went wrong" he sighed and I kept silent, a bit lightheaded from the information. "And, oh boy, Jack would be pissed"

"He wouldn't" I smiled but I could feel my heart heavy. "Why would he care?"

"Mia, he's your best friend and the most jealous guy I know" he laughed softly. "He can't stand any other guy being in the same room as you if he's not there"

"It's not like this..." I looked away, feeling somehow flustered.

"And," he held my hand tighter. "I know you like him now" he was almost whispering. "It's okay, you can trust me" I just stared at him, feeling relieved.

"I missed talking to you. Since the party incident, I never stopped missing this between us" I said and he caressed my hand.

"See? Isn't this easy?" he smiled and I sniffed.

"Friends again?" I asked and he rolled his eyes.

"Please, family again" we laughed.

The door opened with a loud thud. Jack was looking from me to Quinn and then to our joined hands. We broke contact and Jack still stood by the door, eyes squinted.

"You scared us!" I say getting up and grabbing my purse.

"I hope I haven't ruined anything special" he put his hands on his pockets. "I remembered to put the key on my keychain"