Chapter 05 - 'Cause she doesn't get your humor like I do

MIA

I've been staring at the package for 15 minutes. I was doing the laundry when the doorbell rang. The delivery man, Austin, a friend from high school, was with a giant box by his side. It was almost his size.

"Someone really likes you" he said as I signed.

"Thanks, Austin" he turned away and I dragged the giant box with ease, which was surprising. After those 15 minutes, I decided to open it. It took me a while but I did. It was a human-sized plush with a Jack print on it. There were three bottles of my favorite champagne, a new jersey from the Devils and 15 bars of my favorite chocolate. I had to smile.

"It was delivered?" Jack said as he accepted the call. He was at practice.

"You're so lucky I am a material girl" I giggled and he smiled. "Now I have a human-sized Jack to punch anytime I want to. Brilliant!"

"I'm a genius" he looked happy. "That's my apology for being an asshole to you at the party"

"Only at the party?"

"Okay, for your birthday too" I was already eating one bar. "What about opening one of those bottles after the game tonight?" I silently looked at him through the screen and his smile dropped. "You said you would come to the game against the Islanders!"

"I'm kidding! I'll be there!" he sighed, relieved.

"You're gonna wear my number, right? Helen is going with Lukey's"

"I'm not sure" I teased him. "Barzal's gonna be there... I have the jersey he gifted me last season... I could cheer for him, he's always so nice to me..."

"Not a fucking chance you're wearing his number, I swear I'll throw a puck on you"

"Chill! I'm kidding, again" I grab the jersey that was right in front of me. "I'm gonna use the new one"

"Thank you" he says, satisfied. Someone shouted in the back. "Gotta go, see ya later"

"See you" he ends the call. I finish the chocolate bar and punch the plush a few times.

After I'm done with the laundry I take a hot shower and get ready for the game. I didn't want to get there too early so I made something to eat. I'm not a fan of the food in the arena. I eat slowly when I receive a text from Helen.

"I'm picking you up in ten minutes" I type "OK" and put my plate on the sink. I brushed my teeth and stared at the mirror. I was fine, I guess. Even so, I decided to put some gloss and a touch of blush on my cheeks. Better.

When we arrived there, the arena was full of girls. Well, it was a Devils and Islanders game after all but I knew damn well we were all here to have a glimpse of Mathew. Who wouldn't?

We walked with our hands tied as we passed through the crowd, finding our sits, close to the penalty box. I hated being this close, it always frightened me when the players went against the wall. It was loud and scary. But I did it for Jack and Luke. Jim and Ellen even came today. We all always try to come watch when there is a game against the Islanders.

"Mia, darling" Ellen tapped the seat by her side and I said 'hi' to her and Jim, who was eating a hotdog. "I brought your favorite brownie"

"Oh my God, I love you" I said as she gave it to me. They were warm. "I'm gonna have diabetes if your family keeps feeding all those treats"

"Which one of the boys is pampering you?" she was curious.

"Jack" I bit one piece of brownie. "It was a late birthday gift"

"Oh, he finally gave you that plush!" she clapped.

"You knew about that stupid plush?" I got intrigued.