Chapter One

Everything happened so fast. One moment, Ponyboy was arguing with his oldest brother, then running down the street with his cheek stringing. He - Ponyboy Curtis - was hit by his brother - Darry Curtis. He was too afraid to return home even though he could hear his two brothers' voices in the distance. Ponyboy kept on running until a blue Mustang almost hit him. His eyes widened when he saw that. Instead of running away, he stood there in shock. The person stepped out of their car. That's when Ponyboy noticed the person was a male with dark brown curly hair. He was wearing dress pants with a button-up shirt and button-up Jacket.

This teen was Robert "Bob" Sheldon, a son who hates greasers like Ponyboy.

Ponyboy is shocked to see Bob alone since he usually has his buddies with him. Ponyboy wanted to know why he was alone, but in reality, the fifteen-year-old didn't care. That's when he decided to try to walk away from the soc. But he didn't get far.

His shirt pulled him back. Ponyboy was slammed against the Mustang. His greenish-gray eyes looked into Bob's blue eyes. This eighteen-year-old male wasn't too pleased with Ponyboy.

"How dare you try to get with my girl?!"

"I wasn't trying to get with your girl!" Pony shouted back before calming down, "You need to understand it was dark out, and your girl was going to walk alone with her friend. Did you want your girl to walk alone in the dark?"

Ponyboy knew it was pointless to argue with Bo, but that didn't mean he wasn't trying. He hoped Bob would listen, but the greaser felt like the soc wasn't going to. Bob gripped his shirt tighter.

"I don't care what you think you are doing!" Snarled Bob, "You have no right to be near my girl! You – you – you..."

Ponyboy watched as Bob cut himself off, glancing over his face. He swore Bob saw the fear on his face. Ponyboy was told he was an open book. Ponyboy wasn't sure what Bob was searching for. All the anger on Bob's face vanished.

"Your face..." said Bob, touching Pony's cheek lightly with his fingertips.

Ponyboy swallowed gently, not wanting to let this soc know the truth. Instead of replying to his non-existent question, he snapped, "It's none of your business, Sheldon!"

Bob's eyes stayed on Ponyboy, which was making him uncomfortable. The greaser didn't know what the soc was doing. All Ponyboy wanted was to get away from this soc. He wants his brothers.

"Look, my brothers are probably searching for me. Let me go."

"Brothers?" Mumbled Bob, "Your brothers - Darryl and Sodapop... Not fair."

Ponyboy was confused about what Bob was saying. But that doesn't mean he couldn't see the sadness and anger in Bob's blue eyes. The grip on his shirt loosened up before Bob took hold of Pony's head. He was mumbling about something. The only thing he caught was the name Michael.

"Pony!" Ponyboy and Bob heard, "HEY! LET MY BROTHER GO!"

Ponyboy watched as Bob let his head go before retaking his shirt. They both see Sodapop, with Steve and Dally, standing a few feet away from Ponyboy and Bob. Pony could see the anger in their eyes. There was also concern in Soda's eyes.

Ponyboy gasped when he felt Bob push him away from him before pulling back and felt someone cold and sharp against his neck. That made the three greasers stop their movements.

"Step back!" Bob yelled angrily, "I'm not afraid to hurt him like you hurt my brother!"

Everyone was confused about what Bob was talking about. No one knew that Bob had a sibling.

"Look, we didn't know you had a brother, Sheldon. None of us hurt him," said Steve.

Ponyboy could see the nervous look in Steve's eyes. He wasn't sure why Steve was nervous. Ponyboy and Steve don't like each other. Maybe because there is a knife against his neck. His eyes drift to Dally, who is looking between Pony and the knife. He seemed too angry to be nervous. His eyes landed on Soda. He looked like he wanted to cry, but he was holding back. Ponyboy knew why his brother was distraught - Bob Sheldon had a knife against Ponyboy Curtis' neck.

Ponyboy heard Bob let out a shaky breath like he didn't want to hurt Ponyboy. But why? Doesn't Bob hate Ponyboy?

"I know for sure one of you killed my baby brother! My dad told me the greasers did it!" Bob shouted, gripping Pony's arm tightly, "It's not fair, Curtis! You have your baby brother! But I don't!"

Ponyboy whimpered, uncharacteristically of him, "Please don't hurt me, Bob."

Ponyboy felt Bob tensed up before he forced Pony to look him in the eyes.

"Ponyboy," Bob said very gently, uncharacteristically of him, "I normally hurt greasers like yourself. But I cannot hurt you. I just cannot. I don't care if someone is hurt, but when I see that bruise in the same area as my brother's bruise before he was murdered, something in me snapped. I will not let you go. Something inside me wants to protect you as if you're my brother – my little brother Michael Sheldon."

"Ponyboy!" Soda's voice called out to him, having Ponyboy glanced at his brother, "Don't listen to him, Pony! He's a soc! He's trying to hurt you, and you know this! He doesn't care about you! Dude, let my brother go! There are three of us and one of you! You will lose!"

Ponyboy knew his brother was telling the truth. Plus, he wasn't going to pretend to be Bob's brother, who was murdered. That's when Ponyboy decided to fight against Bob. He kneed the soc in the stomach and tried to run. But he was caught by his shirt.

"Soda!" Yelled Ponyboy when he flew back into the Mustang.

He was thrown back so hard that Ponyboy hit his head. He fell to the ground, hearing people fighting. He swore two more people came out of nowhere, but Ponyboy wasn't sure. His vision was blurry, and his ears were ringing. He blinked a few times, seeing a figure bending down before him. He felt hands take his head, and the figure was trying to speak to him. But the darkness took over his mind.

The last thing he heard was a similar voice yelling, "Ponyboy!"

— — — — —

He didn't mean for this to happen! He was trying to protect him! But his stupid brothers and friends came to his aid. Bob Sheldon wasn't too pleased with that. But that didn't stop him from taking Ponyboy since Bob's friends showed up to help Bob fight against the greasers. Bob took Ponyboy, who was unconscious on the ground. With him being rich, he discovered Pony's full name, Ponyboy Michael Curtis. From now on, he will be known as Michael Sheldon, his younger brother. Bob knows Ponyboy will fight against him, but Bob knows he would be a better brother than Sodapop and Darry.

At that moment, Bob was pacing his brother's room after bringing him home. He told his mother about Ponyboy, and she was excited to have another son, even though she disagreed with how Bob got a hold of Ponyboy. His father was gone after the murder of the honest Michael "Mike" Sheldon - there was a divorce.

He stopped pacing when he heard Ponyboy groan in pain. He rushed to his side, moving his brown hair out of his face. That movement made the younger teen open his greenish-gray eyes. At first, he closed them again until he slowly opened them.

Bob watched as Ponyboy tried to sit up, but Bob stopped him by pushing him back on his back.

"Stay lying down. You got a nasty bump on your head," said Bob, placing a warm cloth on his face.

"Where am I?" Ponyboy asked quietly, "Who are you?"

Bob paused, looking into Pony's eyes, "Do you know who you are?"

Ponyboy shook his head before groaning in pain. Bob stood up, leaving the room. He quickly went to find his mom, who was in the kitchen.

"Mom! He's awake! But the problem is that Ponyboy doesn't remember who he is!"

"Oh, honey," his mom said softly, walking over to Bob, "Bob, you said you wanted Mikey back. Ponyboy doesn't remember who he is. We can make him believe he's Mikey. I always wanted Michael back. And this is the only way. Everything will be fine. We need to make sure no one knows we're keeping him here. Now, let's help your brother to remember who we are."

Yes, Bob wanted this. But what was this sick feeling he was having?