Chapter 1...

I was on my way to get a few things from the corner store for my roommate. It didn't really take long. The sky was yellow, the ground was yellow. Everything was normal, this was just how I lived. I was happy. But just one tiny problem. Not sure how or why, but a war is going on. They've been at it for months, or maybe years? It's driving me insane. On the walls of buildings, there were these posters saying: "We want you to join the army!" and a bunch of info under it, I don't know why they had to put so many of them here. There were posters here and there, on the ground, on houses and even on a dog. They can't get enough, can they? I thought. I walked into the corner store and picked up the items my friend needed. Bread, a few snacks... oh! Definitely getting these... cheese? "Ah, Miles there you are! It's been forever since you've been here." Said the store clerk. "Yeah, I missed you too Buzz." I chuckled. "Getting things for your roommate?" He started scanning the items I had put onto the counter. "Yeah, you know how she is." I laughed, "She's too afraid she'll get shot since this dumb war is going on." "Yeah you're right. Are you thinking of joining?" Buzz finished scanning and handed me the bag of items. "Not sure. I'll look more into it." Buzz nodded and looked at the cashier, "$9.50 is your total," he smiled. I took out my wallet and I had the exact amount of money. Buzz handed me the receipt and I headed towards the door. Outside there was a soldier from one of the teams, he looked like he had another stack of posters in this hand. More? Really? His helmet was black and looked like a small box, he had circular goggles and a white chestplate with black boots. I wasn't looking where I was going and I accidently bumped into him, a few papers fell from his arms and I froze with fear. "Oh gosh! I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking and- " "No it's okay," He cut me off. I looked at him confusedly. "I need something exciting in my life every now and then." He said, I picked up the papers and handed them to him. "I'm Steve, yours?" He smiled at me and it gave me this weird feeling like he was smiling on the outside but deeply despised me on the inside. "Miles," I stuck out my hand to shake his. "Are you interested in joining?" He handed me a paper and I looked at it carefully. "Oh uh, no not really.." I said awkwardly. "Please? We really need people." He gave me a really pleasing look. I winced a little. He was begging for me to join. "I'll think about it." I said slowly, "Thank you," his face rested and he was relieved. We both talked away and I held the poster in my hand, glaring at it. I should do more research before doing this. What will Freddy think of this?

The front steps of the house look older and more cracked than before I left. I folded the poster and tucked it into my pocket. I opened the door slightly and the hallway was dark and creepy looking. Why is it so dark? Freddy hates the dark. I pushed the door all the way open and stepped inside to close the door. I'm sure Freddy fell back asleep. The whole house was dark and barely lit. Except for the kitchen. "Freddy?" I call out cautiously, "BOO!" yelled a voice behind me, I screamed and jumped into the air. "Did I scare ya?" Asked Freddy, "Yes, you did. Why?!" I wrinkle my nose at her. "Because I wanted to tell you to pluck your feathers somewhere else!" She pointed to the pure silver wings attacked right on my back. "Where else am I supposed to pluck them?" I objected. "The bathroom?" she pointed out. "Oh, true. But, erm. One question." "Yes?" "What would you do if I decided to join the army?" Freddy's face looked at me like I put the milk first instead of the cereal. "Honestly. Good for you, but I don't like being alone too much, you know that." She sighed. "Yes I know, I'll visit you as much as I can." I put my hand on her shoulder to try and comfort her as much as my hand could do. "But please, Don't die on me." She smiled gently and put her hand against my cheek. She made me smile and feel a little happy on the inside. "I got the things you asked me to get." I said before things got too awkward. "Wonderful, you can just put it on the table." she suggested. As I finished placing the things on the table, Freddy was making tea for herself as usual. I quickly slipped into my room and hung the poster on the wall. Tonight, I'll try to sneak into their base. Next to the poster was a photo of my brother, Skittles. I haven't seen him ever since I moved out. Maybe I ought to give him a call. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed his number. It rang for a bit and I started getting worried. Soonly, the ringing stopped and it fell silent. "Skittles? Are you there? If so, I really need to talk to you.." I paused for a moment. The silence was so loud, but then I heard a voice. "Miles? Is that you?"