Reminder

Angelina was surrounded by people who looked at her with empty eyes; they were the boyars and their wives. Everyone was in the banquet hall, but it was nothing but stone walls decorated with different coats of arms, banners, axes, and swords. Angelina looked at everyone who was standing silently; it frightened her. "Wh-What's going on? Wh-Why are you all here!? I-I thought that you all were..." The statement couldn't be finished when blood dripped down from everyone's eyes, noses, and mouths. The young woman was stunned and struggled to make a sound. More blood dripped from the heads of the people that surrounded the young woman; there were holes on top of their heads. Then, everyone slowly walked toward her with their hands extended toward her.

"Oh...god...no!" Angelina covered her eyes and ears. "Please leave me alone! I have done nothing!" She waited until the people got to her, but nothing happened after waiting for a while. Angelina was afraid to open her eyes and believed the people still surrounded her. She suddenly felt something hit the top of her head, making her flinch. It felt like a drip, and one became many, and it hit her body like bullets. It lasted for a minute until the drips stopped falling on her. It was quiet, and nothing fell upon her; Angelina slowly opened her eyes. When she did, her eyes and lips widened in horror when she saw that blood was all over her. "Wh-What in the-!"

Long pieces of wood surrounded Angelina, but there were trails of blood that trailed down on every piece of wood. Angelina slowly looked up, and she struggled to breathe when she saw the bodies of the nobles impaled as their empty, bloody eyes looked down at her. Then, footsteps were heard behind the frightened young woman, but her shock overcame her senses. A hand was on her shoulder and-"

"AAHH!" Angelina sat up from her bed while she breathed heavily; her body was sweaty. Her scream echoed throughout the room, and the women inside flinched or let out a soft yelp. Everyone looked at Angelina, who frantically looked at her surroundings. 

Sorina was the one who woke up her friend, who looked to be having a nightmare. Angelina was quiet and unresponsive when the other female servants returned from their duties the previous night. Everyone in the castle heard about what had occurred in yesterday's festivities. Many people knew about the plan, while others didn't. Sorina knew that Vlad was planning something, but she wouldn't have imagined that many of the boyars and their wives were going to be impaled. When watching her friend tossing and turning from what looked like a nightmare, she remembered that Angelina witnessed the guests being taken away to their deaths. "Angelina you are alright. You were having a nightmare."

Angelina slowly calmed herself down as she wiped the sweat from her forehead. "It...was...a nightmare." However, she remembered when Vlad showed her the impaled bodies of his former guests. The nightmare was nothing more than a reminder of what Vlad could do. "S-Sorry if I worried you."

"Not at all. You should bathe since we will tend to Lady Minah soon." Sorina assisted Angelina and motioned her to one of the many wooden tubs where warm water steamed. Angelina undressed and got in the wooden tub as Sorina bathed her. The other women made beds, changed their daily clothes, or bathed. Sorina scrubbed Angelina's back and then put a bit of warm water on Angelina's hair and combed it. 

"Vlad showed me what he did to those people, Sorina," Angelina said faintly. "I never knew true hell on earth until I saw those impaled bodies."

Sorina cleared her throat as she gave a gentle pat on her friend's left shoulder. "I'm sorry you had to witness such a horrid sight, my friend. I don't know what else to say to soothe your anguish."

The two were quiet as they looked at the women readying themselves. Angelina eventually stood from the bathtub and was given a cloth to dry herself while Sorina got her clothes for the day. "Have you ever witnessed an impalement?"

"No, and I do not wish to see the bodies that are outside the castle walls. I heard stories that the Voivode has used the method on his enemies." The adolescent finished helping Angelina dress while Angelina braided her hair. "We mustn't focus too much on yesterday's events or it will affect our duties. Remember that you will have to deal with Lady Minah, and she has become restless due to the child almost being born."

The thought of working for Minah made Angelina shiver, but then she remembered that she was now Vlad's mistress. She doubted that Vlad would tell his wife about his extramarital affairs, but that didn't mean that Minah wouldn't try to find out if he did. From what she could gather, Vlad didn't love his wife but viewed her as a breeding tool to have heirs. Angelina knew she had to be careful because even though Minah wouldn't have the power to have her killed, she could make her life a living hell. "Understandable. I imagine it must be not easy to not only carry a child but also be married to the...Voivode."

The female servants slowly began to walk out of the room to go and start their duties. The duo stepped out of the female servants' quarters and toward Minah's chamber with the other ladies-in-waiting. Two carried piles of clothes. Ioana stood outside Minah's door while waiting for the other women to arrive. The ladies-in-waiting arrived; Ioana gently knocked. Ioana then opened the door and the curtains; it was a cloudy morning that looked like it would rain. "Lady Minah, good morning." Angelina and the other ladies-in-waiting got in line and bid their good mornings to the noblewoman. 

Minah slowly woke up as she let out an annoyed groan. The noblewoman tried to sit up but struggled due to her pregnant belly. Ioana and Sorina assisted her to sit up from her bed; the other ladies-in-waiting bowed. "Am I to eat with my husband today?"

"Yes, Lady Minah. He wishes to speak with you," answered Ioana.

Minah nodded until she noticed Angelina among the group. She was silent while her eyes were on her. "She is still to be my lady-in-waiting?"

Ioana nodded. "Yes, the Voivode believes that she is to be useful to you. She will still be trained to be useful to you."

The noblewoman scoffed as she stood up from bed and walked toward the young woman. "Useful to me or for my husband? He does not fool me." Minah then grabbed a chockful of Angelina's hair, which made her groan in pain. "You also do not fool me. You think that telling stories makes you safe?"

Angelina looked down on the floor. Minah was jealous of her and didn't want to cause more suspicion or trouble. "No, my Lady. The Voivode showed me my place after he...showed me what he could do. Th-The bodies, the blood...a sight I can't get out of my head."

It was silent momentarily, and Minah looked at Angelina, who didn't look at her. She let her hair go. "He can do worse, but I can do much more. Since you are my servant, you would still have to satisfy me. I can still punish you in any way I see fit."

"Yes, I understand that I am nothing more than your servant, my Lady. I have not thought otherwise."

Minah huffed as she ordered to be dressed. Angelina wanted to sigh in relief, but she knew her day would not end and hoped everything would go smoothly.