4

Violet got new guards and a housekeeper, Anita Kings. Violet emerged from her room dressed in a black turtleneck blouse clung onto her body and a dark blue pleated skirt.

Complimented her dress with a black stiletto. Anita bowed to greet her, V walked pass. Anita resumed her duties. She got into her black pathfinder, rocked the streets off to the company.
She was late to work, her dad called her in.

"Princess, you're late once again," she tapped her hands lightly on the couch she was close by.
"Mr. Freeman, don't you ever call me that!" She yelled at him. Ross fumed, she raised her voice at him.

"I'm your father, Violet. Don't raise..." She abruptly interrupted him. "You're not my father but a fucken murderer!" Her tone was sharp but the accusation was more piercing. Ross closed his eyes, his voice softened. She didn't believe him. She won't.

"I didn't kill your mum. How could I murder my wife? I loved Gravy, V." He tried explaining for the umpteenth time. "Oh sure you did. I watched every damn thing that happened. You chose your stupid empire over mum," Violet was more than mad. She stepped closer to his desk.

"I never did. I didn't choose any. Violet please listen to me. I still love Gravy, she was my world. Violet, she didn't let me choose," Ross stood up, turned around his table to stand infront of her. She dared forward.

"Mr. Freeman, you claim you loved her then why couldn't you save her? Mum went through a lot because of you. Mum died at 45, she was too young. Now you picked a younger one, huh. She'll never be part of this family. Just so you know, I hate that bitch. I will never forgive you for mum's death."

She spun on her heels and walked out. Ross fell back on the couch, she wasn't gonna hear him out any time soon.

    Alex walked into the room, she wasn't home. He pulled out the drawers, nothing. He slammed it back. Went through her wardrobe, bags, drawers and boxes still couldn't find it. The sound of a car zooming in startled him. He went back to the living room, pretended to be busy on his phone.

Violet walked in, frowned at his sight. Went straight to her room, something wasn't right. Her room looked tidy but different. She went through her drawers, wardrobe and bags, things were misplaced.

She peeked through the door found Alex glancing at her door. He was up to something. She changed and joined him in the living room.
"You came without notice?" She asked giving him the cold shoulder with a creased brow. Alex didn't bulge, he looked up and crossed his legs.

"Yeah. Sorry about that, I got your keys remember?" He asked smiling to reduce the tension. She folded her arms, giving him a quizzical look. He looked inimical yet harmless. She wasn't sure she knew him anymore.

"About my keys, hand them over," she stretched her hand out for it. Alex glanced at her hand and back to her.
"What do you mean? You trusted me to..." She didn't let him ramble on, she cut in. Impatience clearly written on her face.

Violet stretched her hand once more, he placed the keys in her palm.
"I still trust you, Alexander."

The hint of sarcasm didn't go unnoticed by him. Maybe he fucked up?
"Violet..." She pointed to the door. "Leave," he was perplexed. He sure didn't go unnoticed. He was doomed.

      Later into the night, V went back to her room. She saw a note on her dressing table. Picked it up, it was written in blood. It read..

            Watch your back,milady.

She abruptly swung to her back, nobody. She took out her phone taking a picture of it.
First, being watched. Secondly, a threat.
She laughed in her head.
Dumb people!

   He punched the wall thrice, he was bleeding. A man dressed in a dark green suit wore a chilly smirk on his lips. He grabbed his collar.

"You bastard! I just gave you one simple task and you fucked it up," he threw him across the room. He stood on one knee, wiped the blood off his lips. He stood up taking two steps back. He knew he made a grave mistake.

"Boss, I tried. She was smart," the man stepped forward, he tried to escape. The man halt his escape, he was trapped.
"You said she was smart? You're the dumb one. I told you I wanted her most valuable item from her mum," the man yelled in his face. He closed his eyes to cool down, a habit of his.

"I'm sorry boss. I promise to do better," that wasn't enough to convince the man in green suit.
"Since you didn't carry out that successfully, I'll spare you on one condition and that's because I need you to get close to her." The man went back to his seat. He bowed.

"I'm all yours, boss." He said still in that position. The man chuckled making him flinch. He was very much intimidated by the man infront of him. He was at the mercy of his feet.

"Scott, are you ready?" He nodded praying silently for a simpler mission.
"Bring Violet to me, dead or alive." His eyes bulge out. That was one hell of a simple task indeed.

      Dressed in a big T-shirt and bom short. Her hair in a messy bun, Anita made breakfast. Violet walked in, she barely noticed her presence. Anita spun around, nearly dropped the tray. She was startled. Didn't expect to see her in the kitchen.

"I'm sorry miss, didn't notice your presence," Anita dropped the tray on the counter. Violet sat on the stool, "sorry, didn't get the chance to talk to you.so what's your name?" Anita hung her head low.

"I'm Anita Kings, miss." The lady seemed humble.
"You look 50, 54. Anita."
Anita smiled, "52, miss."
Violet clicked her tongue, "just a year younger than my mum if she was here."

Anita noticed the pain that laced at the edge of her voice. Her mum must be dead, she thought. She gathered courage to ask, "Is she dead?" Violet nodded, "it's been eight years."
Anita prepared coffee for her.

"I'm Violet Freeman," Violet introduced herself taking the cup from her. Anita wiped her hands on the hand towel placed it back into the apron's pocket.
"You have a lovely name, Miss. Freeman," Violet cringed at the name, Miss. Freeman?

"You think so?" Anita nodded.
"Eat up. Your food would get cold," she added. Violet played with her food.
"Why did you want to work for me? Don't you have a family? Don't you know how I am from the outside world?" She took a bite of her meal, it was delicious. Anita looked up finally.

"Of course I'm not oblivious to how the world protray you as but I don't believe in everything the world says. I believe people have a reason to act the way they do and besides so far you don't look like what you are described out there. Deep down, I know there's a lovely soul there." Violet felt a rush of emotions coming, she sounded just like her mum. She liked the woman already.

"Thank you," her voice barely a whisper but she heard.
"How about family?" Violet cleared her throat.

"I do have a daughter. I was willing to work here by the way I had nothing to do at home. Let's say I was bored." Violet picked interest in her words. She wanted to know more about this woman. She felt at peace in her presence.

"Bored? You have a daughter then why that?" Violet took more bites. She wasn't someone who had long conversations with people especially her employees.
"My daughter's 27. She's an artist. Always traveling and I'm retired."

Violet sipped the last bit of her coffee. She liked the conversation most especially she likes talking to this woman. What's so special about her?
"Call me Violet, aunt," She left a bemused Anita to register her words.