𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒔

Tobias

"You ready?" I ask with a nervous smile.

"Ready as I'll ever be." Said Jordan sending an anxious smile back.

It's been months since our mom went in her coma because of our shitty stepdad. We both have been praying to God, hoping that she'd wake up soon. And our prayers were answered sooner than we expected. Not even a full hour ago they called my aunt and said my mom is up.

My aunt didn't want to go, for some reason. She said to ask our mom why, because she knows what she did was wrong. And now that makes me curious of why? And what does my mom has to do with it.

Putting all that aside, me and Jordan has slowly been repairing our relationship with one another. We've been hanging out with one another, I've even officially introduced her to my boyfriends, and she got along with them way better than I expected. I know I wasn't the best older brother in the past, but I've truly been trying to change that, and I think I'm doing a good job at it.

I let the breath I've been holding, out. And I feel myself calm down a bit.

I push open the door and...

There she is, my mom, wide awake, sitting up in her hospital bed. Wires attached to her, but still the same mother I know and love.

"Mom!" Jordan exclaimed as she ran up and hugged her tightly. I smiled at the site, this was what I wanted so bad so long ago. I wanted my mom and sister to be happy, without worry.

"Hi Jordan, how are you?" Mom smiled, her hand placed on Jordan's cheek.

"Good, I'm so happy your awake." Jordan laughs breathlessly.

"Thank you dear, and my baby boy, come here." She beckons me with her free hand.

I subconsciously smile wider and walk to her, hugging her just as tight as Jordan did, maybe even tighter.

"I missed you so much." I said in her shoulder.

"Me too, I missed both of you."

After a while I pulled away, wiping tears from my eyes.

"You know, you've never displayed this much emotions before. First you genuinely smile, now crying?" She giggled at me.

"I know, it was a shocker to me when I saw it. But yes, this jackass finally has emotions." Jordan laughs.

"Shut up Jordan." I rolled my eyes, folding my arm together.

"Anyways, what have you two, been up too? Either of you in a relationship yet?" She asks.

I feel my face heat up as I try to avoid eye contact with her, and I can feel Jordan staring at me.

"Tobias?" Jordan nudges me with her elbow.

"You're in a relationship?" Mom's brows raised, clearly in shock.

"Yea, if you think he smiles a lot now, just wait til he's in front of his boyfriends." Jordan laughs, and I freeze up.

"Boyfriends, as in two guys?"

"Um..." I snapped my neck at my sister, and she literally looks everywhere but at me. And she called me a jackass. "Yes, I'm dating two guys. I know it's not a usual, two-way relationship, but I really like them and-"

"Whoa calm down, it's alright. I don't care about you being in a relationship with you men. It just shocked me, you were the first in a relationship." She snickered at me, and I was both happy and vexed. Happy she was supportive, and upset that she didn't expect me to get into a relationship.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, I just thought you wouldn't be in a relationship first."

...

Since we're on the topic of relationship, I forgot I needed to ask about her and my aunt's relationship with one another.

"Uh- mom... whats the deal between you and aunt?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well... She won't visit you, and she said you know the reason." I stated.

"Oh..."

"What happened with you and her?" Jordan asked, her brow slightly raised.

"Well... It was the relationship between me and your stepdad." She continued, "before we married he was a great guy, he was sweet, and gentle. But once we got married, he started to drink and everything went down hill.
He would hit me, hit you guys sometimes. But... I still loved him... and I didn't want to let him go. So I kept him, stayed married to him. I wanted to change him. I wanted him to love me again, even though I saw it was going nowhere... So whenever you guys would ask me why won't I divorce him, I would just lie and say because he had dirt on me... And I didn't give you guys up because I wanted you guys too, because you were my child and-"

"So you're telling me that the reason Jordan has this cut under her eye is because you wanted to rekindle your love to a man?" I said completely stunned, "The reason that Jordan had two black eyes when she was trying to save you that day was because you wanted an alcoholic man to love you?" I said once more, standing up from the bed.

All the abuse we went through, the abuse that he put us through, the abuse that made me grow so cold towards people, was because she wanted an unfortunate alcoholic man to love her again?

Jordan looked at her with a disgusted look, "You made me blame myself for you going into a coma... every damn day I blamed myself, I barely ate anything because I felt like shit because of what happened to you. I didn't think I deserved it."

"No I-"

"You are a sick person, loving someone that hurt you abused you..."

I stopped, why does that remind me of... right... I have no right to say anything about that, do I?

I did horrible things to Elijah, and yet he still decides to be with me. To kiss me, to hug me, to comfort me, to be around me. Even after what I did to him.

"I... can't right now. Mom you need help, the help we can't ever provide." I said as I turned around with my fist clenched.

Jordan stood on the side of me, her aura had completely changed, you could feel the hatred from her soul radiating.

"Don't you ever contact us again, until you have your mind in check." Jordan spat.

We ignored Mom's protests and walked out the room, slamming the door.

I can't believe this, I can't believe her. What would she put her children through years of suffering just for a broken man. She wouldn't give us to our aunt who seemed to have no problem with us living with her like she said she was.

She lied.

She lied to us for so long.

I don't hate her, but I don't want to see her for a long time.

All the years of torment, abuse, yelling, and fighting all for nothing!

The fact that I started to act like him and started hurting someone I care about.

She needs help, but not from us anymore. I'm no longer her knight in shining-fucking-armor.