Chapter 2- Late night conversation

'Aahh! What the hell are you doing here?', Mel barely prevented herself from letting out a scream.
'Let me tell you beforehand, Miss,' assured Kennedy, ' I definitely didn't come here to steal books.'
'I know that, you don't have to tell me. If you have to steal, there are many expensive things in the house other than books.', scoffed she, 'So what intention do you have in visting the library so late at night?'
'The same intention as anyone else entering a library, miss, including you. I came here to READ A BOOK.'
'What are you, an owl? Don' you sleep at night?', said she, pulling out a book from the shelf.
'Pardon me for being ahead of myself, but shouldn't the same apply to you too, Miss Philomel?', said he, letting out a soft laugh.
'You and I are not same', Mel sharply rebuked, leaning back at the wall.
Soon, she was immersed deeply into the book she was reading.
Kennedy's eyes were fixed on her as she read.
Her dark brunette hair, curls that peeked out from behind her ears, rosy lips that reminded one of a rising Sun and eyes that felt like they could drown everything in them did not let Kennedy take his eyes off her.
'She's got such an innocent face for that temper of hers', he laughed silently as he thought,'I wonder what  her future partner will go through. Maybe he'll have to take refuge in the garret, with the mice.'
'Ahem! Mr, Kennedy, could you please focus on reading as that's what you came here to do!'
'But Miss is quite focused on her book, I must say. So much that she even realised that I wasn't reading mine.'
'You really want to pick an argument, don't you?', said a flustered Philomel.
'No ,but really Miss Flynn, why do you hate me so much?', said he, putting down the book on his lap.
'Who ever LIKES a person who bumps into her, makes her fall and doesn't even say sorry!', retorted Phil.
'I DID?? When?'
'At the marketplace'
'I'm extremely sorry for that, Miss', now it was Kennedy's time to be flustered, 'The days after I came back to Wales have not been very pleasant, you see. I used to run errands for people before your father found me and offered me a job.'
'How did you meet my father?', asked Philomel , feeling a little guilty at heart.
'I met him at the cafe where I worked. He went there with his friends probably and was taken aback to hear my english. Then he acquired my status info by enquiring the head of the cafe and met me personally. After that you can probably guess.'
'That sounds like quite the fairytale meeting, huh?'
'Absolutely, only except for the fact that I'm not a damsel in distress and Mr.Flynn is definitely not a fairy'
Phil couldn't help laughing at this.
'So you do know how to make a joke!'
'And you know how to laugh'
The four eyes met at this very moment and both turned their heads away in an instant.
'By the way, Miss Philomel...'
'Just call me Phil, everyone in the house calls me that.', said, trying to be as bland as possible.
'Are you sure? I think I better record this for future safety purposes', Kennedy said in a half teasing and half doubtful manner.
'What exactly am I in your eyes? A lioness?', grumbled Phil, keeping her eyes glued to her book.
'It won't be completely wrong to say so!'
Mel threw a quick glare at her newly appointed teacher.
'Your father said that you two girls need serious tutoring in english. But I see that you have no problem in reading the english book at all!', said Kennedy, trying to change the topic.
'Well my grammers are not that good.'
'That's okay, I can guide you with it. You just need to trust me a little.'
'But I've not yet agreed to accept you as my teacher', said Mel, maintaining the seriousness of her voice.
'Oh,Come on! You'll get no better teacher than me, who'll get along with that tongue of yours.', said Kennedy,  smirking at his student-to-be.
'We'll see about that.'
Mel walked up to the shelf to place her book back.
'Going back so soon?'asked Kennedy.
'I'm sleepy.'
'Will see you tomorrow, then.'
'I'll decide whether I would see you tomorrow or not.', Mel said, giving him a look, ' Don't stay up too late or the patches under your eye will never disappear.'
Kennedy tried to focus on his book, but all he could see on the pages was Philomel's big blue eyes.
'Don't worry Mr.Flynn, I think we'll get along well', he thought.