An Egg in Another World

How did I get here? Actually… where am I?

“You don't remember?” asked an old man wearing a white robe who looked to be playing on a giant touch screen computer.

Oh, excuse me sir. Wait… this is weird. How am I talking? Where is my body?

“Ah I see. You don't remember you are but a soul now.”

A soul?

“Yes my boy. You died.”

Died!? Oh… is this, heaven? Or the other place…?

“Neither. I snatched your soul from your universe and brought it to mine. I am the god of this realm and am in need of someone like you. A good hearted and good natured, hero if you will.”

A hero? Me? I don't think you've got the right person.

“I think time will tell on that. When it came down to it, in the last moment of your previous life, you gave it to save others. And that's a heroic heart indeed.”

I see. Well, if I died to save others, at least I ended up doing something with my life. I never really accomplished anything otherwise, at least, not that I can remember.

“I thought you'd feel precisely that way. Thus, I'm giving you a second chance. A chance to be a hero from the start.”

A hero?! In like a fantasy land? Am I seriously being isekai-ed??

“It may seem that way, yes. A world of knights and monsters and of course, magic. I'm customizing the hero you'll grow into now. A human being with exponential magic to save the world!”

Wow! I hope I can live up to your expectations. Hopefully I'll be better looking this time around…

“Don't worry lad. You'll be great.”

The old man finished typing and tapping on his touch screen showing a very fit and handsome man that I looked to become in this new life.

I'm getting excited!

“All that's left is for you to get started.” said the man reaching to initiate the sequence, when he caught a wrinkle in his nose, and at the most inopportune time, the man let out a sneeze causing his finger to swipe the screen and initialize the birth of the new hero.

Only…

“Oh dear. That wasn't suppose to happen. All the changes I made are there, but his body, it switched to an animal. It's too late to do anything!” exclaimed the old man, slapping his own head.

What? Where am I? Old man? OLD MAN?!

It was dark and I was but an embryo now, inside some sort of hard shell. My soul seems to have attached to the vessel even though it hasn't developed yet. It's an odd feeling to just exist but not be able to do anything. It seems, I wasn't alone at least.