vii. competition

Emery's POV:

Emery's POV:

God. I cannot stand him.

I stormed past the entrance hall, finding my way up the staircases. I just kept walking. I tripped a couple of times, but I found my way to a calm hallway. WHOOSH. A loud sound echoed down the hallway. I heard more whooshes coming from down the hall, so I went to check it out. As I entered, a huge room opened up before my eyes. It was a library, and it was absolutely beautiful.

WHOOSH.

A book whooshed right by my ear, and I jumped at the sudden sound. I looked around and realized books were flying everywhere. They were being sorted into shelves that reached almost 50 feet up. The ceiling was huge and there were more books here than probably the whole state of Michigan. I am an avid reader, and the excitement I felt when I saw the mass amounts of categories was incredible. I couldn't believe my eyes. This was actually heaven. I walked further down the rows of shelves; inspecting all of the authors, categories, and covers. Wow. I wanted to check out some books immediately, and I was desperate to do so. I found my way to a desk, with a mean-looking lady staring at me. Her eyes were vulture-like, and she had a thin mouth. She was very skinny, but obviously long-limbed.

"Yes?" She drawled out.

I read the name plate on her desk: Irma Pince.

"You call me Madam." She said after seeing me read her name.

I cocked an eyebrow, surprised at her hostility. "How do I find certain books here?"

"You ask me..." She drawled out, obnoxiously. "Because I'm the librarian?!" She pointed at her sign like I was stupid. Jesus, this lady!

"Yeah, I got that ma'am, I'm just trying to see if you are actually capable of being helpful?" I snapped back. Maybe it wasn't the best thing to do towards a teacher, but there was no need for rude behavior from her either. I promised myself when I was younger that I would never take any shit, from anyone.

She raised her eyebrows, surprised that someone finally fought back. "You're right," she nodded. "That was rude of me."

She then explained to me where all different kinds of books were, from romance, to literature, to wizardry. She also explained that she will check the books out herself, I just needed to approach her. She wasn't the nicest still, but she definitely understood that I wouldn't stand for unnecessary attitude.

I walked off, just exploring the beautiful place that was the Hogwarts library. I stumbled my way to the romance section. What can I say? I can be a sucker for a good old romance...especially if they are enemies to lovers. I found one of my favorite authors, a muggle author if I remember correctly, and sat down. This author was known for writing hair-gripping tension between the main couple, which happened to be just my favorite. I had gotten through the first couple of chapters, before I heard a throat clear nearby. I ignored it, and yet he cleared it again.