Flash Fiction | Bo-Katan Kryze | Reflections, Part One

30 BBY

Bo-Katan's helmet laid on the smooth surface of the table, the reflection through the window mirrored on her visor. Bo-Katan readjusted her helmet to face away from the scene through the glass, crossing her arms over her chest. Satine didn't want the people to see her helmet or armor from the streets, so Bo-Katan did her best to follow the wishes of her sister.

Her elder sister stood on the other side of the window, waving at the crowd of people in front of her. Satine had always been the one who got the crowds behind her with her pure white smile and tender gaze. Bo has always been the opposite, wearing a grimace more often than a grin. She was more like her father—gritty, raw, and packed a punch. Satine was like Mother in how she carried herself as well as her ideals. And those ideals led them to today.

Satine was announcing as her first speech as Duchess to pledge to pacifism. And Bo hadn't felt more useless in her whole life. All the countless hours training with her father, her ceremony, her great-great grandmother's armor—she had been called the first female warrior in their family for generations—and now she was nothing except her name.

If Aren had survived the Sixth Civil War, nothing would have been this way. Aren would have been a balanced ruler—the grit of Father mixed with the kindness of Mother. But no, the Watch clan had to kill him with their parents. Korkie was the only thing she had left of her brother.

Bo-Katan watched the boy sitting in the wings of the stage, clapping his favorite aunt on in her speech. Bo frowned, standing up. She snatched her helmet from the side table, pushing it on her head. She was who she was. Her culture was every part of her as her blood was, and she wouldn't change that. Not even for her sister.