28 - Heart and Soul - Chris POV

Alexa was gone for a while. Why was she gone so long? She was only going to the bathroom and coming right back. Right?

A knock rapped on the door, pulling Chris from his ever-spiraling thoughts. Dr. Halsin appeared through the doorway, her brow furrowing as she took in the fact that it was just Chris in front of her, "Oh, Alexa isn't back yet?"

"No, not yet." Chris said, just as surprised and confused as she was.

"Okay, I'll go pop on down there and see if everything's alright." Dr. Halsin said as she pointed her thumb over her shoulder.

See if everything's alright? She just went to the bathroom...

"Um. Okay."

Chris' thoughts started spiraling even deeper as Dr. Halsin disappeared back out the door, but he closed his eyes and sucked in a deep breath. It's fine. She's fine. There was probably just a line.

Two more minutes passed by.

The hallway isn't that long to the bathroom.
If I poked my head out the door, I'd be able to see it. I should do it. I should just look.

Chris stood from his dully-padded seat and walked the few paces to the door, but just as he reached to open it, Dr. Halsin opened it instead, Alexa in tow, looking worse for wear.

"Alexa," Chris put a hand on her cheek gently, carefully, as if she would break, "Are you okay? What happened?"

Alexa sighed, "I passed out in the hallway."

"You—you passed out in the hallway?" How did I not hear that happen? How did that not cause some kind of a commotion in the hall outside the door?

"Are you okay? Is the—" Chris' eyes glanced down to her rounded belly before looking back up to her eyes.

"I'm okay. And I didn't fall face first. Just kind of slid down the wall. So I think everything's fine."

Dr. Halsin intervened, seeing the worry blanching Chris' face, "Tahlia got her all checked out before I got there. She said everything seemed normal and all vitals were regulatory."

"We can check on baby during our ultrasound, right?" Alexa asked.

"Yes, but are you sure you're up for it?" Dr. Halsin asked gently, "We can wait another week...or at least a few days. I don't want you to feel pressured to stay for more, especially after what happened over the last ten minutes..."

"No, I want to. I'm okay. I promise." Alexa said, almost as if she was ready to beg.

"Honey, that's what you said last time, and then you ended up splattered on the floor," Dr. Halsin joked.

"Well, I'll be lying down during all of the ultrasound. And there's no more blood stuff. So I should be okay, right?" Alexa asked hopefully.

Chris knew how excited Alexa was for this appointment, this moment. Even if she had been nervous. She had been looking forward to her anatomy scan for months. She hadn't cared if the baby was a boy or a girl, but he knew she wanted to know all the same. And having to leave here today without finding out would break her heart.

"This is true," Dr. Halsin considered, "Alright. I've just got to grab a few more things before we start. I'll be back in a few minutes." She looked at both Chris and Alexa with a small smile before she disappeared back out the door.

"Are you sure you're okay? God I hate that I didn't know." Chris asked, worry coating his voice even more now that they were alone.

"I promise, honestly. I'm okay. I think it was just the blood draw that got me. And I caught myself along the wall so I didn't put any pressure on the  baby."