35 - Don't Mess Up

"It's so wonderful that everyone is here, but, is there a reason?" Chris' mom, Lisa, asked. "I feel like I'm missing something."

Everyone was sat together around the various furniture throughout the large common area, finishing up their share of the copious amounts of pizza that Trevor had ventured out for and returned with from the neighboring town.

"Well...yes." Chris said, donning a pair of khakis and a shortsleeved blue button down, suddenly becoming timid about what he was about to say. He looked towards Alexa and laced his hand with hers. She gave him a reassuring smile and a pat on the arm with her free hand, "If everyone's done eating, we'd like everyone to come out to the back deck."

Everyone clambered about, cleaning up their plates and soon everyone made their way out to the deck where a dozen or so chairs were set up facing the corner rail.

The sun was beginning to set, and the gorgeous mountains seemed to fill the landscape for miles out over the view from the cabin.

"What is happening right now?" Carly asked, confused but a buzz of excitement seemed to be coursing through not only her but everyone around as they all took a seat.

Alexa and Chris went to stand along the corner of the railing and faced everyone. Alexa rested her hand on her belly, and looked out at the mixture of their dearest friends and closest family.

It was everything Alexa could want from this moment.

She could feel the energy radiating from Chris beside her, both from excitement and anxiety pulsing through him. She gave his hand another reassuring squeeze and he looked down at her, almost visibly relaxing.

Scott stood from his seat, walking around Alexa and Chris, and centering himself behind them to face the small group.

Alexa smiled at him and then looked back at the group, trying not to giggle at the confused looks on their faces.

"Welcome family and dear friends! I'm sure you're all very excited to find out why we're all here today. We have all been requested here personally by both of these two lovelies in front of me," Scott said, putting a hand on Alexa and Chris' shoulders, "For a very important reason."

Scott dropped his hands from their shoulders and plucked a small black notebook from his back-pocket.

"We are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Christopher and Alexa."

The entirety of the deck seemed to simultaneously gasp excitedly. Alexa couldn't help but laugh when Carley slapped Shanna's shoulder in shock, putting her other hand to her face in awe. Even Alexa's own hands went up to cover her mouth, attempting to hide her excitement.

Angela, who even knew, gripped Daniel's arm excitedly.

"Wait, what is going on?" Ethan asked his mom, Carly.

"Uncle Chris and Aunt Alexa are getting married!" Carly half-whispered to Ethan, though all three kids were listening and gasped.

"What!!" Stella cried out.

Scott continued, "This is not the beginning of a new relationship  but an acknowledgment of the next chapter in their lives together. Chris and Alexa have spent much of their relationship getting to know each other and we now bear witness to what their relationship has become. Today, they will affirm this bond formally, and publicly. Well," Scott gestured to the intimate crowd, "As publicly as we all get."

The small group chuckled before Scott continued,
"Alexa and Chris will mark their transition as a couple not only by celebrating the love between themselves, but by also celebrating the love between all of us including the love of their parents, siblings, and best friends. Without that love, today would be far less joyous.